1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP NEEDED!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ace 0f Bass, May 1, 2009.

1. Ace 0f Bass

Ace 0f Bass

Apr 30, 2009
    west sussex
    yo im looking to start playing the double bass and i was wondering whats a good model to start with??

budget of about 300 any suggestions??

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Brace yerself, mate.

3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Get a bigger budget.

4. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    What's the count up to now?

Ace, you need a bigger budget or a miracle. Check the newbie links. Tons of advice. Welcome to the dark side.

5. At that price, I'm afraid you'll only find a completely beaten, unplayable piece of junk.
    Can you rent one for a month or two and see if you like that?

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You can get a nice set of strings for that. :meh:

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I think this is 3028. Drurb?

8. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    300 is a reasonable budget if they're ounces of silver...

9. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Ain't that the truth.

10. I saw this post and clicked it just to see how mean you guys would get!!!!

The only thing that had me starting on Bass Guitar insted of Standup was the investment required.

11. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I don't think anyone is trying to be mean. It's just a reality. It's sort of like saying that I want to buy a car and I only have $300. You're just not going to get much for that.

12. Accualy I am quite impressed with the kind responces, don't misunderstand my comment.

13. The OP is from the U.K so he means 300 pounds , around about U.S 800 . you might find something playable but you will have to look for a while , dont buy a cheap Ebay bass or anything that sounds to cheap to be true .

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I suggest that before buying anything, it would be WELL worth while to vigorously explore the Double Bass threads here. There are some asian import basses which have a very bad reputation. I have been searching for options myself, and I don't think that anything but extreme luck will yield a bass of any quality for much under $1000 U.S.

15. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I just did a quick conversion and 300 British Pounds is about $447 US.

16. What about the electric ones that are basicaly just a neck, do they sound any good?

What are they called?

17. EUB's or Electric Upright Basses- there is a forum for them.

18. The Pound and the Ozbuck are worth peanuts it seems ....Then again 300 Quid would go a lot further in the U.K

19. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Welcome! Take a look at the newbie links. They contain a wealth of information. Then c'mon back with questions. If you are buying a new bass, then the minimum you will need to spend for a quality instrument with a good setup (very important!) is around $1500. There's no way around it. You'll end up spending that one way or another. Stay away from guitar stores and on-line musical mass merchants. Buy a bass from a real bass shop.

3028, indeed.

20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Slabsicles.

Sorry, Francois. :smug: