Help Needed!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fenderbass1214, Dec 29, 2002.

1. fenderbass1214

fenderbass1214 Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    Hi I am in a band and I have a fender jazz bass I am pretty new i guess. I just changed my strings and I did everything correctly (I think) but my D string isnt sounding like its supposed to. :confused: I have taken that string off and restringed it and it still has done that the type of strings are Ernie Ball super slinky ass roundwood 45 65 80 100 I have a band practice tommorrow and wanna have everything right. Thanks for your help!!!!!
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    why did you need to make two topics about this?
  3. Texer

Dec 29, 2002
    WIlmington, N.C.
    Um whats it sounding like? That is pretty vague. It might have something to do with the bridge. I have a jazz to but I can't think of anything right now.
  4. fenderbass1214

fenderbass1214 Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    I dont know its weird I think its the strings but there new
  5. is it buzzing against the frets? if so, raise your bridge saddle up a bit.
  6. fenderbass1214

fenderbass1214 Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    No its just the sound of that one string it sounds crappy all the other strings sound fine. No buzzing or anything it just doesnt sound right and my 2 tuners say its in tune but I kno its not
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Could be a bad string. It happens sometimes. Put your old D string back on. Does it sound normal? If so, see if the dealer will give you another set of strings. If they won't, contact Ernie Ball. They will probably send you another set. You can leave your old D on until the new set arrives.
  8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Ya gotta watch those "slinky ass roundwoods".
  9. fenderbass1214

fenderbass1214 Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    See the thing is I dont live near where I bought the strings. My old D string doesnt sound at all like the other strings its more deep. These ernie balls have this kind of "metallic" sound to them. I'll probably just contact ernie ball.:confused: