Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP NEEDES!! P-BASS EXPERTS!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danielguerra, Aug 14, 2005.

1. yesterday i made some pickuo platic cover changes to my p bass and i disarmed the whole bass, and when i was ready to build it again i saw one piece that i dont know ehere it came from, does enyone knows where this piece belong? is it important??

Attached Files:

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I believe that works like a washer, going on the control cavity side of the output jack.

Though I could be wrong.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's a washer that keeps your pots from rotating inside your cavity. When tightening the top nut on the outside of your bass, it digs into the wood, or in your case the pickguard to keep it from rotating. Put it back on and tighten that pot back up.

4. dont you love it when you put something back toegther and you have like 1 screw left over :D

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My mom did that in basic training with an M-16. Only the extra part was the trigger :p

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I love the fact that he referred to it as "disarming" the bass :D

Well P-Bass ARE the bomb...wakka wakka...

:rolleyes: :meh: :eyebrow:

7. so you mean, this is part of the output jack? is it suposed to be under or over the pickguard?

8. im from mexico, so i don't know all enlish words, i tried to be as clear as possible

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    That's ok, I thought it was funny anyway. You could either say "Disassembled" or "took it apart"

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No, the circular things with shafts that you put the knobs onto that control the volume and tone are called potentiometers, variable resistors, varistors, or more commonly pots. This goes between the body of the pot, around the shaft BEFORE it is inserted into the pickguard. After the pickguard, another flat washer is usually placed on top and then the nut is tightened to hold everything in place.

11. i get it i can see two of these on the potentiometeres, but theyre smaller this one is bigger and fits pefectly into the jack, and also there are some marks in the pikcguard i think i know where it belongs THANKS :hyper:

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, youre right that is the one for the output jack then. Glad I could help.

13. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    @tplyons: How could you mistake a pot washer for the jack washer ;)

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I know I know, I should be ashamed. I'm heading back over to the effects forum now...