HELP! New vs Old Czech Spector vs ...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by schmidt, Oct 2, 2004.

1. schmidt

schmidt

Oct 14, 2003
    Hi, i'm a guitar player and on lookout for a bass since quiet some time now. i love to play bass much more than guitar. so here is my misery:
    i want a spector _really_ much and my budget is kinda low, around 700 Euro. I found an older Czech Spector called NS-4CR which fits my budget. The shop said its the last one and the newer ones are called EURO-4 Series and are much more expensive. So what exactly is this one? Also the finish is kinda ugly, it's called natural, i'd love black though :/ New Euro Spectors go for around 1300€ here, i'd rather get a guitar for that kind of money ;)
    So is there a big difference between the old and new ones?

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    From what I've read on Spector's website is the only differences (besides the names) between the CR-Series and the Euro Series is the Euro-Series has the Spector 'Tone Pump' 2-band EQ. My NS4CRFM has the EMG BTS 2-band EQ. I've also noticed the 'Euro-Series' bridge has a glossy finish, whereas the bridge on my Spector is matte.
    Other than that, I don't see any differences.

3. schmidt

schmidt

Oct 14, 2003
    Thanks for that Information, i forgot to check the Spector Website myself ;) How is the sound between those 2? I guess still very similar? One question about the natural finish, i really try to like it, how does it look in person? I hope i can be happy with it. Or maybe get a refinish done someday. Well, this bass or no bass.. But as long it sounds like a spector (i love that sound :bassist: ) i think i can live with it :D

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    One other major difference - the CR's were all-maple and the Euro's continue in that construction. The Euro LX's, however, have body wings of figured maple (or "exotic wood" top, although I've yet to see one), a slice of walnut, and then alder for the back half.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Sorry, I forgot about the LX series. I haven't had the chance to play one, but it's great that Spector has expanded it's Czech-made Euro-Series line. IMO the different woods used on the LX basses give all of us Spector players a new tonal option.

As far as how my NSCRFM sounds with the EMG BTS 2-band EQ: It sounds very good IMO and Spector's are so comfy to play (for me at least). I haven't heard Spector's 'Tone Pump' EQ, but I'm really excited to hear it. If it improves the bass' sound, I think the $150.00 or so for one is quite reasonable.

I suggest that you play that CR-Series Spector a few more times to see if you really like it. If you end up buying it, I think you'll be very pleased with it.

-Art