Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! New vs Old Czech Spector vs ...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by schmidt, Oct 2, 2004.

1. schmidt

schmidt

Oct 14, 2003
    Hi, i'm a guitar player and on lookout for a bass since quiet some time now. i love to play bass much more than guitar. so here is my misery:
    i want a spector _really_ much and my budget is kinda low, around 700 Euro. I found an older Czech Spector called NS-4CR which fits my budget. The shop said its the last one and the newer ones are called EURO-4 Series and are much more expensive. So what exactly is this one? Also the finish is kinda ugly, it's called natural, i'd love black though :/ New Euro Spectors go for around 1300€ here, i'd rather get a guitar for that kind of money ;)
    So is there a big difference between the old and new ones?

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    From what I've read on Spector's website is the only differences (besides the names) between the CR-Series and the Euro Series is the Euro-Series has the Spector 'Tone Pump' 2-band EQ. My NS4CRFM has the EMG BTS 2-band EQ. I've also noticed the 'Euro-Series' bridge has a glossy finish, whereas the bridge on my Spector is matte.
    Other than that, I don't see any differences.

3. schmidt

schmidt

Oct 14, 2003
    Thanks for that Information, i forgot to check the Spector Website myself ;) How is the sound between those 2? I guess still very similar? One question about the natural finish, i really try to like it, how does it look in person? I hope i can be happy with it. Or maybe get a refinish done someday. Well, this bass or no bass.. But as long it sounds like a spector (i love that sound :bassist: ) i think i can live with it :D

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    One other major difference - the CR's were all-maple and the Euro's continue in that construction. The Euro LX's, however, have body wings of figured maple (or "exotic wood" top, although I've yet to see one), a slice of walnut, and then alder for the back half.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Sorry, I forgot about the LX series. I haven't had the chance to play one, but it's great that Spector has expanded it's Czech-made Euro-Series line. IMO the different woods used on the LX basses give all of us Spector players a new tonal option.

As far as how my NSCRFM sounds with the EMG BTS 2-band EQ: It sounds very good IMO and Spector's are so comfy to play (for me at least). I haven't heard Spector's 'Tone Pump' EQ, but I'm really excited to hear it. If it improves the bass' sound, I think the $150.00 or so for one is quite reasonable.

I suggest that you play that CR-Series Spector a few more times to see if you really like it. If you end up buying it, I think you'll be very pleased with it.

-Art