Help Newbie pick amp for a 4x10 and 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dallyd31, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Hey Folks

I have been playing guitar for a while and recently switched to bass in our band. I am currently playing an Avatar Neo 410 ( 1200W) and a 1x12 cab ( 500W) with an Eminence Delta LF. Combined they run 4 ohm at 1700W. I need something to proberly power these at fairly high volume levels as we are a fairly loud band and will play small-medium sized venues. I was looking at SVTIII Pro amps, but from my reading, determined that they are probably underpowered for what I need. I am also a tube head lover ( for guitar) so I would prefer something that has a tube preamp stage for bass. Looking to spend probably $600-$650
    I was looking at the Ashdown Mag 600, EVO II 500, Eden WT400 and maybe a Yorkville XS800. ( new or used, doesn't matter) Would these have enough power for what I need? Any other good choices.

Your help is greatly appreciated
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If both of your cabs are 8-ohm, then the Yorkville will provide 800 watts. It will be by far the loudest of them all, with comparable tone. The MAG600 is completely solid state. The others have tube preamps. Only the ABM & XS have overdrive channels though. Remember though, it's preamp distortion. It ain't gonna sing like power tubes. If you want that, go with this:

Otherwise, I think the Yorkville will be your best bet, & the best value for your money.
  3. Oh man, I love the all tube stuff. I play a Sunn Model T for guitar, but it is not near loud enough for bass.

You don't think the Eden 400 or Ashdown EVO II will be near enough power
  4. anybody else ??? I really need to buy something soon and all comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated