Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP NEWBY BASS PRBLM

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassfrenchy, Aug 20, 2002.

1. bassfrenchy

bassfrenchy

Aug 20, 2002
    Ok Hi folks !
    So i'm bAck from the US and got the Ernie Power Slinky... But as i took them out of the wrapping... I realized i wasn't so sure about stringing a bass guitar....

Anyway i did like it seemed best to me (mqke the string coil qround the round metql thing and cut it, and put the end of the string in the hole and then SCREW !
    But... The string wont be "in mid air" it just stqys on th board so when i play it's like.... i was slappin'...

What shoud I do ?
    Plz help a bassist in distress

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Do you have all the strings on yet?

If not, there may not be enough tension pulling on the neck.

Peace
    Nick

3. bassfrenchy

bassfrenchy

Aug 20, 2002
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Put them all on the bass, and tighten them to correct pitch.

My fretless bass has the strings against the neck untill at least 3 of them are on. The force of the strings pulling n the neck forward bends the neck so that the strings arent resting againt the neck. I just had that same thing happen today when I changde strings, It happens all the time.

Peace
    Nick

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    This is what I do, there may be better systems but it works for me.

Cut the strings so you get about 2-3 windings (you have to guess just dont go mad with the first cut) you do get a feel for it. I normally take all the strings off, clean the fingerboard and fit all the new strings slack. Then tune up the bass in one go. Then do it again. Leave it a while and do it again.

BTW the windings should go down so it looks like

-I I-
    -I I-
    -I I___________string

Hope this helps

6. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Cut the string about 3 inches from the pegs.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA