Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! No sound going from head to cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Dec 13, 2005.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    When I plug my new GBE400 amp into my warwick cab, i get no sound. Do i have the wrong kind of speaker cable? I have a speakon to 1/4". It says mono bridged +1/+2. I don't know if im supposed to use this type of cable or what. I've been dying to use this thing and now it won't work! :crying:

Please help me!

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Speakons are typically wired 1+ 1-; you'll probably have to redo it to run off your amp.

3. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    ok, i borrowed a regular 1/4" speaker cable from my friend. And it works and sounds fantastic! Now I just have to pick one of these up myself... :scowl:

oh well. Glad the amp works. I'll write up a review very soon!

4. You can rewire your speakon without too much hassle. no need to buy a new cable

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    how would this be done?

how do you take them apart?

is soldering required?

6. No soldering, you just need a small screwdriver.

First: UNPLUG THE CABLE FROM EVERYTHING...sounds dumb, but do not work on the plug when it's plugged into your amp.

Grab the speakon jack and unscrew it...the cap, which is usually blue, unscrews and comes off completely. Then you just slide the cable side of the jack down the cable to exposed the wire connections. If you look close, there's probably 4 little screw connections with two wires connected. Look a little closer and you'll see a little 1+, 1-, 2+, 2- next to the little screws. Unscrew the 2+ wire and put it into the 1- spot. Slide the cable side of the jack back up to the jack, line it up with the little grooves, then screw the cap back on.

Easy, and easy to put back to normal later. You might want to put some tape on the cable and write on it that it's now wired 1+/1- and not what is printed on the cable...in case anybody else ever uses it.

7. bass man evan

bass man evan

Dec 10, 2005
    try the a different as u seid chord

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No need to buy or use a different cord when it will only take him 60 seconds to change the connection on the existing cord with the speakon connector. Buying a new cord would be terribly wasteful.

One of the main purposes of the speakon design is quick change of its configuration without soldering.