Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Noisy amp, sometimes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by abarson, Aug 21, 2005.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I'm using a Tube Works RT-3300, and have been shopping for a compatible cab. The problem is that with some cabs I get tons of hiss (Behringer, Hartke, Genz Benz), some hiss (Bergantino HT112), or minor hiss (Traynor, Randall, Ampeg). In all cases I turn the tweeter control off, and leave my amp's EQ flat.
    Can anyone explain why there is so much noise variance, and what can be done about it?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Even with the tweeters turned off, each speaker still has its own high frequency response. You are just hearing the differences in those cabs.

Some experimentation might help you pinpoint the source of the hiss. Turn the master volume all the way down. Does the hiss go away? A different control setting -- more pre gain and less post gain -- might help. Otherwise, you are simply up against the fact that every amp has its own natural noise level.

Is tube hiss louder than solid state hiss? :bag:

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Solid state is ever so slightly quieter.
    One shop guy had me connect and disconnect my bass, and the noise remained, so we took the bass out of the equation.
    Just freaks me out that I'm going to have to find a cab that's quiet with my amp.
    Are other heads this problematic, or is this one really finicky?