Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! Notes causing other strings to vibrate

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bizarroStormy, Jun 1, 2003.

1. bizarroStormy

bizarroStormy

Feb 16, 2003
    I guess this is the forum for this question, if not, mods feel free to move it.

Anyhoo...
    I've got this horrible problem that I can't seem to fix. When playing certain notes, other strings vibrate and cause a very distracting hum. e.g. When I play an E (second string, second fret) it makes my E string hum very loudly. Almost as if it were played.

I've tried adjusting the bridge in all sorts of ways but nothing helps. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    This may be more of a technique problem rather than strings and/or setup. Fretting or playing open notes will cause other strings to vibrate. Before you made any adjustments, did you try resting your thumb (or use other methods of muting) on the E string while fretting the other E?

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    It only happens when you are a new bass player and you use a name too similar to someone else on this board :confused:

You gotta mute that $hit with your fingers, palm, or whatever unless you want it for effect. :D

4. bizarroStormy

bizarroStormy

Feb 16, 2003
    ^^^^ Well, that seems to be me, doesn't it? :p

So this is supposed to happen? I find it hard to believe that I need to learn which notes make other strings hum and then remember to mute the humming strings only when playing certain notes.

Does everybody play like that? :meh:

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yes. It can be prevented without having to figure out which notes make other strings vibrate. It is a matter of learning the proper technique of muting strings that are not being used. I use what is called the "floating thumb" technique. Click here for a few threads dealing with this technique.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

String muting is part of good technique!