Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!Ohm diferences....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hi guys,
    does anyone here know if
    there's a way to modify or my Eden wt 500(8ohm only),or an EBS 4x10(4ohm) so that I can use them together?
    Please let me know.....
    Thanks

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    What type of amp are you using?
    A stereo power amp like mine will allow you to run 8 on one channel and 4 on the other. Alternatively, you can run them parallel on the same side.

3. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    take two speakers out of the 4 x 10 :p

or get 4 new speakers at 32 ohms each

4. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I don't know if the Eden will handle less than 8 ohms...never messed with Eden gear...

If it can, you could rewire the EBS cabinet to 16 ohms (I'm assuming that the 4 ohm impedance is achieved by four 16 ohm drivers in parallel) then use the two cabinets together. The EBS would get about 1/3 of the total power and the total impedance for the pair of cabinets would be 5.3 ohms.

You could interconnect the EBS's speakers with a DPDT switch and be able to switch the EBS from 4 to 16 ohms instantly.

Have fun!!!

6. You can't bridge the WT-500 into less than 8 ohms. It'll overheat pretty quickly and probably do some damage to itself if you run it hard into a 4 ohm load. The most common configurations for a 4 ohm box are 4x 4Ohm speakers, (2 series pairs in parallel) or 4x 16 ohm speakers all in parallel. Neither of these can be configured to be 8 ohms with all the speakers hooked up. There would be no benefit to configuring the cab to be 16 ohms. Any power gained by bridging would be reduced by the higher impedence. You could rewire the cab to be 2 seperate 8 ohm 2x10s and power a pair of tens off each amp channel. From the specs, that won't buy you much though. You'd only be putting 150 or so watts into each as opposed to 250 into the 4 ohm 410. The extra 50W won't make enough difference to notice.

7. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    what about add a 4 ohm dummy load - something like a HotPlate - in series with the 4 ohm cab to make a total of 8 ohms total impedance to the amp head.

8. Any extra power that the amp would make would be dissipated by the dummy load and not make the amp any louder. Actually the dummy load would dissipate 1/2 the power. So you'd need something that could absorb at least 250 W. The power going to the cabinet would then be the same as running one amp channel at 4 ohms. No advantage, sorry :D

9. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thanks everybody,
    as I had supposed it seems hard to get what I wanted:(
    The fact is that I had found a great bargain:giving back my goliath3 with 2 speakers broken,for an EBS that I know for sure have done only 2 concerts.They wanted only 150 Euros!!!!
    This is why I wanted to try to do everything possible to get that Cab.....
    Anyway I'm seriously considering to keep My GoliathIII and buy 2 new speakers from SWR;it is still cheaper than selling it and buying a new cab(Epifani that I like is 1700 Euros!);and then I would really ashame if they would recognize that I'm trying to sell them a cab with 2 speakers broken....
    The only thing I really worry about is that sooner or later I could break the other swr spekers.... my tech told me are easy to do it(as I've seen on myown unfortunately):mad: :mad:

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Throw another cab in the setup!

Just stick another 4 ohm cab comming from the output on the cab (assuming it has one), and that will give you an 8 ohm load.

If you dont have an output on the cab, then get a cab that does.

You could probaly find something fairly cheap used on Ebay. Maybe an Eden 2-10 would be nice.

If not, try contacting Eden and see if they could help. I understand theyre really helpful.

Peace
    Nick

11. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thanks Nick Man,
    I've already exposed the question to Eden and EBS both.I'm waiting for their e-mails
    To add another 4 ohm cab is a good idea,but.....I would spend more than replacing the SWR speaker,and if you consider that I've already spended 2000 euros for my'78 jazz last weak....it's not the case....I have to make the cheaper choice.:(

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, no, no! Don't do that. That is parallel wiring between the two jacks on a cab, not series, and it will yield an impedance of 2 ohms, which is even worse than what you started with.

That second jack on a cab is not an "output"; it's wired directly to the input. (At least on any cab I've ever seen.)

Amo, I think your most practical option is to forget about the EBS cab and get something else. Or else get another amp.

13. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thank you Richerd.....
    I'm not good with this technical aspect of gear:confused: :p

14. But you could get another 4 ohm cab and run it off the other side of the amp (amp in stereo mode). You'd get 250W into each cab plus the SPL benefits of having twice as many speakers!

15. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Many thanks Space for your interest and sugestions,but can't($$$)and don't want 2 cabs:I play mosrly in jazz club and 1 4x10 is even too big sometimes...
    Thanks a lot anyway;)

16. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hey Space,
    I'm going to see Roger Waters live in Rome next weak....:) :) :)

17. WOW! I'd love to see that! Lucky you.

EDIT: I spelled "to" wrong......

18. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Strange, I was pretty sure that was series wiring when you went from that output.

Im almost positive though that its paralell wiring (what you deffinetly dont want to do!) that hooks both the outputs on the amp.

Maybe its different for this amp.

Peace
    Nick

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, it's parallel wiring when you use both outputs of a *mono* amp, or two outputs from a single channel of a stereo amp. If you have a stereo amp and are using it in stereo mode (i.e., NOT bridged), and you hook one cab to one side and another cab to another, the two cabs are *not* wired in parallel, because the two channels of the amp are effectively working as two separate amps.