1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help - Oingo Boingo sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Goatman, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Goatman

Goatman

Aug 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Oingo Boingo has some really sweet bass lines, but I have no idea what it would take to emulate the sound heard on the bass of songs like "Dead Man's Party" and "Weird Science."
    You know, that kind of 'watery' sound?

I know it's gotta be some kind of synth pedal, but does anyone else have some better insight?

EDIT: On further listening, it's more like a frog-sound, lol
    You can hear it crystal clear here:

2. How many movie soundtracks have they featured on!?!

I am not familiar with any 'conventional' synth pedal that would pull that off. However someone else might chime in who knows about those wiggy synths with special pickups and such!

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Elfman's studio during that time was known as "MIDI Hell" because of the insane maze of cables running between dozens of racks and tables of MIDI gear, keyboards, and computers. I doubt if you asked Danny himself today he could tell you what exactly he used on a given track.

However if you post some MP3 or Youtube links of the specific tunes, we can try to suggest some fx to approach the sounds.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The difficulty isn't so much in the tone itself so much as it is the attack and release of the keyboards. Being the 80's there was no attempt to make it sound remotely like an actual bass so it has that very obviously synthy "bouncy" sound. Short of a MIDI setup on your bass (or an actual keyboard synth) I don't see how you could do it.

Oh, and just because I feel like posting cheesy 80's songs, here are the tones in question:

Dead Man's Party
    Weird Science

and just for good measure

5. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I'm only guessing but I bet if you took a Sansamp VT pedal and added a Boss SYB synth pedal or some envelope filter of choice and dicked around a little bit you could come mighty close.

...or you could just ask him.:D
    http://www.johnavila.com/john_avila_contact.html

or get a Keytar:

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ah yes, the elusive Dangerfield tone. :) Gotta love it. I think if one was to compress and gate the holy bejeepers out of their bass signal, and then use that as the synth trigger source or tone basis, it might be a start.