Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help on a bass cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rixor, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Rixor

Rixor

Jan 12, 2004
    I was wondering if someone could help me decide on what I should buy next. Right now I have a Peavey T-Max head going into a peavey 4x10 cab. It doesn't sound too bad but it certainly could be louder and have more tone. This partly due to the fact that the T-Max puts out only 200 W @ 8 ohms which is at what my cab is rated. Now i have read many reviews on the T-Max and they have all said it sounds great, so i dont think i will need a new head, but I would like to get a new cab. I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend anything for me? Preferably I would like to use my heads ability to put out 350 W at 4 ohms or even 500 W at 2 ohms. The head also has two parallel outputs, so two 8 ohm cabs in paralell would run at 4 ohms resulting in decent use of its power. Anyways I will have about $1000 CAN to spend on a new cab. So please make any suggestions you can think of. Thanks

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Depending on what your sound preference is, and how portable you want the rig, another 4 x 10 would be good, a 2 x 10 would offer more portability and a 1 x 15 would offer the portability and maybe deepen your sound.

Would be worth trying these possible combinations in a store before you finally decide tompart with your cash!

My preference has always been a 4 x 10 and a 1 x 15 (had this configuration before, now have a 4 x 8 and a 1 x 15 - sound and portability!)

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    How important is portability? What kind of a sound do you like? Will you be using a 5/6/7-string? Upright? Do you have a preference for new versus used? I can think of a number of cabs that would fit your bill, but there are a lot of variables out there left to consider. I would think that you would want something fairly efficient, as your head is not overly powerful. Also, unless you really want/need to have two cabs from the get go, it might be worthwhile to get on better quality cab now, and then add a second one when finances allow.

Tom.

4. Rixor

Rixor

Jan 12, 2004
    Portability isn't really that much of an issue. I have been lugging around my Peavey 4x10 cab ( >100 lbs ) for a while now with my band. I have a 4-string Fender Mexican Jazz bass for the time being but its probably not the guitar best suited for the sound im looking for, but untill i can afford a nice guitar I'm thinking a better rig is the way to go. I'm looking for a real punchy sound but with decent low end as well. My guitar has a fairly bright and focused sound to it due to the heavy strings I use, and I would like to bring that sound out as much as possible. Im in a fairly heavy rock band so maybe that gives you an idea of what I need. I really dont care if the cab is new or old, I just want it to sound good.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    From what you describe,the first cab that comes to mind is an older Diesel or Road Ready Mesa Boogie 4x10. Very clear, balanced and articulate sound, with plenty of punch. It also should sound pretty good with the power from your T-Max. Later on, you could add a Boogie 1x15. Then, even later, if you upgraded your head, the cabs would still be more than up to the challenge. I am a huge fan of EA, Accugroove, and Epifani cabs as well, but from what you are describing, I just think a Boogie 4x10 would fit the bill nicely.

Tom.

6. Rixor

Rixor

Jan 12, 2004
    That sounds like not a bad idea. Do you know the specs on a cab like that? I would need it to be 4ohms in order to get the power i want from my amp.

7. Rixor

Rixor

Jan 12, 2004
    So i seem to have narrowed it down to these two setups: Either a Gallien-Krueger 210SBX with a Gallien-Krueger 115SBX (both $399 US on musiciansfriend.com), or an Ampeg BXT 410HL ($1149 CAN new at the store). Both offer really nice sound. The Ampeg has sweet punch and decent scalability if i were to get a new amp (it can handle 600W). The GK setup wasn't quite as punchy from what i could remember (tested in a different store) but it had nice low-end. But those cabs can only handle 200W each and i would be pumping in 175W with my head, so if i wanted to use a new head with more power i would have to get a new cab setup. Anyways tell me what you guys think of those or if you think something else would be better.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Maybe it is a bit late, but here is the info on the Mesa cabs you requested: Mesa Boogie

-Mike

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Personally, I don't think that either the 210SBX/115SBX or the BXT 410HL hold a candle to a Diesel or RR Boogie 4x10, but if they sound good to you, then go for it. As for specs on the older Boogie gear, it can be notoriously hard to find. However, from owning a Diesel 4x10 ("Deep") and a Diesel Powerhouse, Jr. (1x12, 4x8) - amongst many other cabs! - I can tell you that the Boogie 4x10 is very much a full range cab, and it can handle a good deal of power. I was feeding it and my Eden 212XLT (another nice cab, BTW, which can be found in either 4 ohm or 8 ohm configuration) 3,000 watts from my PLX 3002 in bridged mono mode, so its 600 watt power rating is somewhat conservative, I'd say.

Again, if you find cabs that sound good to you, and can cut through your bandmates (well, cut through their sound, at least!) in a live setting, then go for it.

Tom.

10. Rixor

Rixor

Jan 12, 2004
    Those cabs sound like they are really nice, however the only problem is that I would have to find one in a store that would let me try it out or find someone who is selling to let me try it out. I refuse to buy anything without having tried it first, and it seems it could be difficult witht he ones you suggested.

11. Rixor

Rixor

Jan 12, 2004
    BTW thanks for all the help guys. You're swell :)

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That's a good point, and can be a problem. I am also located in a relative "bass gear void", so I have to either drive long distances to hear things, or just chance it. What brands are readily available to you?

Tom.

13. Rixor

Rixor

Jan 12, 2004
    Pretty much anything you can think of new wise. And lots of used stuff. There are two very large music stores within 30 minutes of me that carry bass gear and one just as close that carries LOTS of bass gear. It's just when you are looking for some specific old equipment you would have a bit of trouble finding something.

14. Rixor

Rixor

Jan 12, 2004
    Yeah,t ahts basically what i did, and i think the ampeg cab is the best way to go. Now i just need to get that money :)