Help on a bass speech

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by parabola_qb, Nov 13, 2002.

1. parabola_qb

Nov 13, 2002
    Omaha, NE
    Hi everyone, as you might have guessed, I'm a newbie and I'm prepared to take all the hazing you give. I want to take this opportunity to firstly say, I love playing bass! Next, I would like to say that I hate my &*#$%@ bass but it is a start and soon I will get something better...Moving onto my subject now, I'm taking speech class and our assignment is to write a persuasive speech. A "friend" and I decided to do a little bit of mudslinging, Electric Guitar vs. Electric Bass. This "friend", whom I now hate, is an #@%!$&* and I need to pull out all the stops to impress everyone and #%$* him off. What I need from you guys, if possible, is reasons why bass is better than guitar and what song should I learn to play for the class on Monday; I realize I have nearly no time, but I am a very committed person so I will put forth my best efforts to play what you reccommend. Thanks for reading all of this, and I assure you that in the future I will not post anything longer than this; I also hope to make some new friends here who will not trash talk bassists.
  2. just write about why you choose bass over guitar and why you think its better. you speak more passionatly and adamently if you truely believe it. as for a song just play any old slap thing and you'll have all the non-musicians impressed

good luck!!
  3. Play run to the hills by Iron Maiden its one of my favorites to play.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Welcome to TalkBass. Careful with the swears; TB is an all-ages site so you need to asterisk them out. You may influence more people if you try to make the point that guitar and bass are different instruments and should be respected equally; that way the guitarist seems like a mudslinging namecaller and you seem more thoughtful and intelligent. But if you'd rather stick to the "bass is better than guitar" route, then point out that bass is included in a lot more music historically than guitar. Orchestras and symphony will utilize double basses far more often than guitars, and while it's easy to find jazz groups with bassist and without guitarists, it's a lot more difficult to find guitarists without bassists, unless they are solo or a keyboard takes the bass role. Ah, screw it, basses are bigger than guitars so they're better! How's that?
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's a small piece of advice. Hope the guitar player gives his speech first. Then you take copious notes on what he says and build your speech around refuting each and every one of his arguments. You'll have to think quickly, because this strategy, while effective if done well, demands that your speech be constructed spontaneously on the fly. That is hard to do if you are not a seasoned speech giver or a veteran of debates.
  6. parabola_qb

Nov 13, 2002
    Omaha, NE
    Thanks for your help guys! By the way, I apologize for swearing and it will not happen again.
  7. mention that chicks eventually fall for the bassist.
    from a chick.
  8. just play this:

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Reasons bass is better than guitar:

1. Fewer strings to confuse you.

2. Bass is MUCH easier to play.

3. Chicks prefer bass players, 7 to 1.

4. Bass players don't get bullum heads.

5. Bass notes are very low. Chicks get a bodipka over that.

6. Bass players can lick their eyebrows.

10. This is a cool topic, but I diagree about the chicks wanting the bass players. I have been playing for twelve years and no chicks yet. And yes I am pretty.:D
  11. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    i gave a similar speech before, and i presented pictures of cool bass player, and pictures of stupid guitar player. i did a couple of these w/out telling them whos who, and the good looking guy is the bass player. If you do it in a comical fashion, it works best.

also state that bass is a real (wo)mans instrument. it was made becuase real men wanted to play guitar, but thet guitar was just so small, they couldnt use it properly. so they made a bass, which was larger, and could go much deeper than a little guitar. (be sure to use sexual innuendo!)

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    without the sexual innuendo, you've got nothing. NOTHING!