Help on a good combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spicy mchaggis, Apr 3, 2005.

1. spicy mchaggis

spicy mchaggis

Apr 3, 2005
    Ive been playing for a year now and i was lucky enough to find a used stu hamm fender urge for $240. My amp is a gorilla gb-30, probably the worst amp ever made. Im trying to find i better amp now because the urge sounds atrocious through this combo. The two amps im looking at are the fender rumble 100 ($299) and the Behringer BX1200 ($199). If anyone has used this before or has an idea for an amp that i can get for a similar price please help me out. I know theres a $100 dollar difference in price but from what ive read so far the rumble is probably worth the extra money. Anyway you guys have been doing this far longer then i have and probably have a good idea which on is better. Please dont turn this into a flame fender/behringer/any other amp thread. Thanks.
  2. I use a Rumble 100.
    My band plays out at smaller clubs 3-6 times a month.
    We're not a really loud band (oldies music)
    But the Fender does fine , I am pleased with the sound quality, I usually only put the volume at 1/3 to 1/2 and it's plenty loud for us.
    I'm playing my Fender Jazz through it.
    I'm looking to go for a seperate head and 2 112's to replace it as my gigging amp,But I guess I'm a GAS'er.

Try one out, you might like it.
  3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    How about a Yorkville XM100? Maybe a little more than the amps you're looking at, but I think you would be happy with it IMHO.

I have the XM200C. It has a nice clean sound, plenty of power, and is tough as nails. Yorkville has a 2 year "even if you break it" warranty, so thats something you might consider.

I got a great deal on mine at in Somerville, MA. Corey and Justin are great guys. You'll find the toll free number at the site.

Hope that helps! Good luck in your search :bassist:
  4. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    nothing wrong with the fender rumble setup. nice little combo. id suggest looking at some used gear. you could get a much niceer amp used for 300 then you could new. what kind of tone are you after? what style of bass do you play? do you need to be loud enough for a drummer?

here is a nice combo amp on ebay

genz benz stuff is pretty darn loud for what they are rated. this combo would cut it in a band situation.

here is a steal at zzounds! only 1 left. id suggest snaggin it right away if you can swing it.

only 320$ for a 300 watt 15 inch speaker combo bran new! its blemished but who cares about a scratch or dent? :p its still bran spankin new. this combo has had a lot of really good reviews.
  5. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Of the two combos you mentioned I would recommend the Fender. It puts out a good deal of volume and nice, round tone. I used to record with one and quite liked it. It's definitely worth the extra $$$ as compared to the Behringer. The Behringer sounds OK but it doesn't have the warmth or flexibility of the Fender. Good luck.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    two combos you might want to try finding used..........

an older peavey TNT - some of those 20 year old amps are still great and can be had cheep!

an swr w/m 15 (preferably an older "pre red lettering" one). another great workhorse amp.
  7. HIJACK! :p

I'm also looking for a small combo. Think dorm room volume. I'll be in a 1 bedroom apt living downtown so odds are the walls will be thin. I was looking at the Ashdown blue 1x12. The actual name escapes me. Any suggestions?
  8. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    an older peavey TNT - some of those 20 year old amps are still great

I have a Peavey TKO that I got in 1985 that can still handle some 200 person rooms with headroom