help on bartolini or aguilar preamps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iplay4-5, May 1, 2005.

1. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    hey guys can you help on chocing from a 3band bartolini or 3band aguilar preamp it would help me if you just told me what they sound like how they sound compared to one another i'm going to be using bartolini soapbars (18 volt) and i'm looking for a nicly colored and full even sound but not colored more of a natural even sound if you could please help i would love that you re-post here or send me a private message the private message would be eazier for me thanxz alot guys peace from the mexican
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Here's a link of my experience:

Probably more than you want to know. In a nutshell I don't think I could tell the difference between them if blind folded. Some players claim the Aggie's brighter (do a search - like most stuff - this has been asked before).

In my experience, onboard preamps don't color tone at all in the normal sense. They do tend to filter noise and sometimes some tone from the pups. At least twice I thought I had a preamp that really made a difference only to find in removing it and playing the pups alone, all the sound was in the pups. What preamps primarily do is boost/cut signal - which any current amp will do a much better job of.

The main advantage of one preamp over another is in things other than tone - primarily size, mid optons, and configuration. If you don't have much space - the Bart is the wrong choice. But the standard NTMB with the 250/400/800 mid switch is as good as any otherwise. The variable mid to me was useless.
  3. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    wow thanxz alot that really really helped me my cup of tea sounds to be the bart. thanxz again peace from the mexican