1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help On Bass ID

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by charmicarmicat, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Can anyone give me any info on this instrument? Of course I will go check the instrument out but I would like the opinion of the folks around here as well.
    This is he description that was emailed to me:

3/4 size upright laminated bass, German made, approx 1910-1920. Inner-label reads "Jofef Bitterer, Geigenbaummeifter, Mittenwald".

I think that the first "F" in "Jofef" is actually an "S" and the "F" in "Giegenbaummeifter" is an "S" as well. Of course I could be wrong but some German lettering can a bit of a trick to read. The picture i attached is the only one I was sent.
    Thank you all for taking the time.

Attached Files:

2. A Geigenbaumeister is a German Violin and Bow Repairer and Maker.. Most probably a german shop Bass, But I haven't seen many laminates that old. From the Pic it doesn't look that old either.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    That sounds a bit early for Plywood! Where did this date come from? Also, more and better pics will help as well.

4. Unfortunately the only pictures that were sent to me are all similar in size and distance. There are no close up of any part of the bass. Either way, here they are. Maybe they'll help. As far as date I'm not sure where did the seller came up with it. I'll contact him again and ask for shots of certain parts of the bass. What parts of the bass should I ask him to take shots of? The sticker inside the bass, scroll, heel, anything else?

Attached Files:

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    All angles of the Scroll, label, Back, sides, top, FFs.. all as close and clear as possible. I think this is from 1950 or after from what I can see so far.