Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help on Boss pedal arrangement & settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by elbarax, Mar 8, 2006.

1. elbarax

elbarax

Jul 17, 2005
    I recently acquired the following boss pedals thru trade and was wondering what other possible settings or arrangement would be good (in terms of sound). Currently, the chain arrangement is as follows:

Bass -> limiter (LMB3)-> EQ (GEB7) -> Octave (OC2) -> Synth (SYB3) -> Overdrive (ODB3) -> Chorus (CEB3) -> AMP

that's my current setting and always turn on the limiter, eq and overdrive. Could you guys help me out on what other possible arrangement or knob settings sounds good / sounds like (which bass player tone)?

Thanks !

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Personally, I'd put the limiter at the end of the chain. From what I understand of how they work, that's where it would do the most good. It would allow everything from your bass to go through your other effects just fine, and then have it hit the limiter at the end.

I dunno, that's just what I'd do.

-Dash

3. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings

+1

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Great: I get to disagree with the unanimous majority...

The only reason I'd put a limiter or compressor AFTER something, is either if I need all the dynamics before the thing, and/or if the thing causes volume jumps (like the common practice with envelope filters, in which BOTH are the case).

For most-anything else (everything in my six-pedal setup), I'd put compression first. My setup goes bass, compressor, [OC-3, when I get it], OD-distortion, Xciter, heavy-distortion, chorus (all this in the loop of a remote-sensing noise supressor).

One issue might be that the Boss limiter has some kind of enhancer built-in; if this really messes with the sound, then it might freak-out the octaver or synth - but if not, there are definate advantages to tracking when a signal is compressed first.

Joe

5. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    the boss limiter does indeed have an enhancer built in.

also i would agree with you and put a compressor at the beginning of the chain, but, as he doesn't have one, that knocked that one out of the equation

Hope this makes sense

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    Yes, a good limiter wouldnt behave like a compressor and as long as it is only limiting at your peak practical threshold, then the dynamics go unchanged, so I would put it last in the chain.

7. elbarax

elbarax

Jul 17, 2005
    thanks for all the help. Got a quick question, is it better to have a compressor (CS-3) rather than a limiter?
    how about the other effects in the chain, is it pretty much alright or do i need to re-arrange them? thanks again

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Uh - a limiter IS a compressor, Man.

...But a compressor isn't necessarily a limiter. Generally-speaking, a limiter is a compressor that's set-up with a relatively high threshold (so it's just grabbing peaks), a high ratio (>8:1 or-so), and a fast attack-time.

My CS-3 makes a fine limiter if I set the attack contol more-counter-clockwise than about 11:00, and the sustain control more CCW than, say, 9:00 or-so. As-things-are, I run it Level=11:00, Tone=3:00, Attack=1:30, Sustain='noon' (the sustain control is really an input gain, so its setting depends on the level that's at its input).
    I much-prefer compression, but I'm a compressor freak, who smashes everthing (uh - not like Pete Townsend - I'm refering to smashing audio signals). Judging by your other pedals - mainly thinking of the more synthy-sounding OC and SYB - I'd think you might like the CS-3, like me. I believe that the LMB is best for slap/pop play; for when a player doesn't want a compressed sound, but at the same time needs to control huge volume excersions that come along with slapping.

The CS-3 is a 'non-transparent' kind of compressor - it can tend to 'sound like it's working hard'. I much-like this sound, but most bassists don't, I gather (Tony Levin is one who does, so I'm not in the worst company...). If you want a more transparent, 'studio-like' compression, I was quite impressed with the Aphex Punch Factory for transparency.

Joe

9. elbarax

elbarax

Jul 17, 2005
    slap/pop oh i see. currently i'm not into slap/pop. my current band play songs from pop rock to hard rock. im after mixing these effects to suit the style of my current band. what settings would you guys recommend? thanks

10. elbarax

elbarax

Jul 17, 2005
    after seeing this video clip

..would any of you guys know how to get that sound based from my current effects?...of course, discounting The Ox's monster chops

11. DrGonzo

DrGonzo

May 24, 2005
    Using the OD and the EQ would be the best way with what you've got...

But for the tone of The Ox, what you need is valve OD cranked to the max. and nothin else.

12. elbarax

elbarax

Jul 17, 2005
    is it bass->EQ->OD or bass->OD->EQ?