Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help on Cabinet Issues Please! :-)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikarre, Nov 22, 2003.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

I have to pick out some cabinets for my amp, the Hartke 5000. I think I may go with Avatar, one reason being I'd like to get 4 ohm cabs so I can run each power amp at 250 watts instead of 170 (at 8 ohm).

So, my first question is, do I have any options besides Avatar for 4 ohm cabs? Most others seem to be 8 ohm. I think all the Hartke cabs are 8 ohm.

My second question is, will I put my amp under serious strain if I run each side at 4 ohms for a normal amount of time at reasonable volume? I have a nice Hartke rack bag I'd like to put the amp in, but I'm afraid it will act as like a thermal covering and cause the amp to overheat. ???

Thirdly, I need some advice on picking a flexible cabinet configuration. My thought is to go with a 1x15 with a horn, and a 2x10. Then I'll have 2 full range cabs that I can use seperately if I want. I can use the 2x10 @ 250 watts for smaller situations, the 1x15 @250 watts for bigger situations, and both cabs together @ the full 500 watts for really big situations. Does this sound like a good plan? I thought of going with a mini-rig type thing since Avatar has those nice compact cabs, but then I thought that might lack projection in ceratin situations. ???

Any advice appreciated...sorry if I sound stupid about this stuff, but I kinda am!

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. As far as running both sides at 4 ohms, no problem. I've had my Hartke 5000 for almost 7 years, and no problems running both sides into 4 ohms.

There are plenty of 4 ohm cabs out there, just maybe not Hartke. I've got three 2x15 cabs (Fender, Sunn, Kustom) and they are all 4 ohms.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    If you want to go Avatar, you could go for a 4 ohm B115 and a 4 ohm B210T. Avatar will provide 4 ohm cabs upon request. The only caution about the 115 is that I think it only goes down to 50 hz. If you are looking for a deeper sound, you could consider an SWR son of bertha for the 15, or even a sub. I have the 5000, and am running SWR Workingman 1x15 and 2x10 cabs.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think the 212 goes deeper than the 115. I'm too lazy to check the avatar site tho. :meh:

5. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The 212 is tuned to 50hz also. At 1000 watts, you would have trouble driving it with 250 watts from the 5000.

How about Hartke 1800 and 2100 cabs? I have not heard them, but they fit the spec of the amp very well.

6. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    One other point on the 5000. It has two seperate amps with 250 watts each at 4 ohms. It cannot be bridged. Therefore, if you run only one cab, you can only get 250 watts.

Peavey used to make a 115 @ 4 ohms. Not sure if they still do. Carvin's RL115 is 4 ohms.

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Only if 250w does not provide the headroom he needs. The cab wouldn't care one way or the other. Besides there is no way he could clip the cab to death.

Again: There is no such thing as underpowering a cab. Only not having enough power for your playing situation.