Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help on choosing a bass, Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metzik, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Metzik

Metzik

May 27, 2004
    Hi people!
    I'm looking for a new bass and tried out a Peavey Cirrus, a fretless 6 stringer. Since I'm not a bassplayer it was to hard to play fretless, pity because I fell in love with the Peavey!!

Anyway, I got an email from a guy who wants to sell me a 5 string Spector, neck through, European Model from 98. It's piano black and is in very good shape.
    Original price was 2000$ and he'd like to have about 625$.
    Is this a good price?

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I've seen them go from anywhere between $700 to $1000 used. So yeah, assuming it's all intact, that's a pretty good price.

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    $625 for a 1998 5-string Euro Neck Through is a pretty damn good deal as long as it's in good condition. There was previously a thread on almost this exact topic 'Peavey Cirrus vs. Spector Euro' do some searching for it.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Thats a really good price, but you should definitely play one before you buy. The Spectors have ergonomics that are a bit different from most basses, and you will either love the way it feels or hate the way it feels.

5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    True that cheezewiz, Spectors are definitely a love/hate relationship.

6. Metzik

Metzik

May 27, 2004
    Cool! Thanx for the tips. I'll be sure to check out the ergonomics of the bass. I looked at Spectors homepage and they look a bit different from other basses as you said.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Here's a couple of things to consider!

I have had a couple of Euro 5 string Spectors. One is a Blueburst that I got in 2000 (and still have) another which I sold was in high Gloss Black.

Now the older black one had the older SSD (Stuart Spector Design) logo on the headstock - my newer one has the current Spector logo from the website.

Antoher thing I noticed on the black one is that although it had an EMG pre-amp, I don't believe that the pickups were EMG - they were unbranded sopabars, about the size of EMG DC40s - which are definitely fitted to my blue one! The pickups on the black never quite had the same output as the blue one - whihc led me to believe that although good, they weren't EMGs.

Another difference was that the black on had volume, blend, treble, bass controls....whereas my blue on has volume neck, volume bridge, treble and bass controls.

Of course, none of this info could be relevant, but I thought I'd share in case it proves helpful!