1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help on Chrome Restoration

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jackajesusfreak, May 11, 2010.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Is there anything that will help restore the chrome on the tuning keys?

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Is it pitted or dirty? Pics would help.

3. Try Happich Simichrome polish. It's available at most motorcycle shops. It's a bit expensive at $8-10 for a small tube, but It will do as much as can be done without replating.

http://www.simichrome-polish.com/

4. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Semichrome is very good. I also use a product called "Never Dull" found in auto supply stores. It comes in a silver can and found in the wax section. Never Dull is a treated cotton wadding and will work wonders on chrome, aluminum, brass, etc. I use it to polish frets to a high gloss and on rosewood fretboards to remove the gunk, grime and yes, some Mojo.
    Rocky

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Rocky:
    The "juice" in the Nevr-Dull doesn't do bad things to the wood? I like the stuff for a lot of uses, but I would never have considered using it on frets.

Mikey:
    Can you tell from the MSDS what's in it? (Yes, I realize there's a "trade secret" notation there, but I was wondering if you could find any clues.)

6. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Here are the pictures. Best recommendation?
    Thanks guys.

Jack

Peaveykeys.

PeaveyKeys1.

PeaveyKeys2.

7. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    +1 to simichrome

8. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Mineral spirits and mildly abrasive cotton. I would suspect that the "trade secret" is d-limonene; common lemon oil.

9. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Interesting. I would have expected some of whatever reducing agent is in Brasso (assuming there is one).

10. Does CRL work for something like this?

11. Simichrome works nice! A little goes a long way!!!
    1978_MUSICMASTER_BASS_11-27-08038.

12. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Pilot Jones,
    I have had no problems using NeverDull on rosewood. While cleaning the frets, I also clean the wood up close to the fret where the gunk accumulates. I don't leave it on long, I remove it with clean paper towels as I go along. It is a solvent and it will dry the wood and leave a white haze if not removed. After cleaning the the wood and frets, I buff the wood dry and then soak the wood in lemon oil and leave it on thick for maybe an hour. I then polish the lemon oil with paper towels. I am very satisified with the results and the finished board looks good for months with no sign of dry wood.
    Rocky

13. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Pretty much the same. It appears that there are some extra abrasive minerals in the Brasso.

14. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Thanks both.

15. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Flitz is also a good metal polish.