1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help on ebs valve drive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WilderStewart, Dec 6, 2011.

1. WilderStewart

WilderStewart

Dec 6, 2011
    So ive had this valve drive for a while, very happy with it. Until i turned it on and nothing. I changed the tube, didnt do it. I checked the jacks and switches.... and nothing. When my amp is all the way up i get a tiny signal from the pedal. Any ideas??

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The footswitches on those have a habit of failing.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 and unless you're real handy with electronics, just take it in to a tech. Cheap fix. great pedal.

4. WilderStewart

WilderStewart

Dec 6, 2011
    im pretty handy with an iron, and ive checked all the switches with a multi meter and there all good. I was hoping someone else had had this problem, ill just get it to a better tech than myself.

5. rockelye

rockelye Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    This just happened to my pedal also.
    First it lost volume and made loud "farting" sounds in the amp. When i tapped it to the floor it made some crackling sounds. I had to bypass it that night. The next day it was totally dead when engaged. Tried a tube swap but that didn't help. I have not checked the switch yet, but that's the next suspect...

6. WilderStewart

WilderStewart

Dec 6, 2011
    well sorry to say, but mine the transformer died. And ebs will not sell a tranny for it. So either re case it and use a new tranny or send it back if you can. best of luck, hope its not the trany like mine (sounds like it is)

7. rockelye

rockelye Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    I was lucky. There was a bad solder point under the right switch and it was an easy fix. I also bought a backup just in case...

8. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    I picked up three of these a couple of years ago on ebay. The transformer inside all three units was no good. I was able to get a suitable replacement from Mouser. I'm pretty sure it was Tamura brand, about $10 to $15 apiece. Also, if memory serves me, the voltage spec is on the side of the original. The Tamura was not a perfect mechanical fit on the circuit board and required pigtails and hot melt glue and a tiny bit of trimming of the bobbin to fit it. The new transformers were definitely heavier duty and performed flawlessly.

9. How 'bout email EBS? They're really helpful.