Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help on effects for a new guy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tbf, Feb 9, 2001.

1. tbf

tbf

Feb 9, 2001
    Lately ive run into some money, and im in need of some advice. I want a sound thats like Rage against the machine/Tool,something real heavy, along that sort of lines. I have a yamaha 5 string base, and i run through a 50 watt, peavey basic. I have a guitar overdrive pedal, but where its a guitar pedal i lose tone, and it just isnt heavy enough for what i want. Could anyone help please?

2. try checking out the Boss ODB-3 bass overdrive or the new Ibanez bass over drive (i forgot the name of it). check out some older threads and you should find some more info on this.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If it's enough money, my personal opinion is that a nicer amp will get you closer to that sound than a pedal. (I don't know if your Yammy is one of their higher end 5's).
    But I can nail the sound reasonably well with just my Carvin LB75, one of my Carvin amps, and a set of DR roundwounds. A lot of it has to do with my string attack.

Also, remember that all things are virtually possible in the studio. A good engineer can transform an Alembic into a quacking duck.

And, OH, your first post!!! Welcome to Talkbass. Land of the brave and home of the bent. :D

[Edited by rickbass1 on 02-10-2001 at 03:58 PM]

4. tbf

tbf

Feb 9, 2001
    Well, I dont have that much money for a new amp, and my bass is BBg5s or something, its blue, 24 frets, 2 humbucker jazz pickups. And another thing i was wondering if Boss had a pedal for bass which has Overdrive and distortion beside the multi pedal.. . but that multi pedals pretty nice, any imput on that?

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Boss has the ODB-3 Bass Overdrive which has overdrive and distortion and little-bitty EQ for about $80.