Help on "eliminating" string screech

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by random bassist, Jun 16, 2005.

1. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    Hopefully someone out there has been in my situation, i have the usual bass caliscs (thick) and i cant stop the strings screeching. I play a lot of rock and slap and i tend to like the brighter poppy sound of strings. But I always end up with ear splitting screams from the strings when i slide. More so on the higher strings....obviously.I would try some string lubricants like fast fret, but I'm afraid that it'll just speed the dying of the strings. I currently play on blue steels. and like the sound, but the are kinda grabby on the fingers. I recently tried switching to flatwounds (fender), but they were on to high a tension to really be any good at slap. Does anyone know of any flatwounds that work well for slap? or possibly a set of rounds that dont scream so much? I play a five string long scale washburn.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Try the Rotosound rs77s They are very smooth and still bright enough to slap and pop, And they are deeper than rounds . If you get screech from these strings you are doing something wrong. Also the fender 9250;s nylon core tapewound sound good for slap just deeper and a bit darker. :bassist:
  3. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    My favourite string i have ever tried was the GHS Pressurewounds, i just ordered a new set as we speak. To me they sound like nickelplated roundwounds that are egg shaped and have a fatter tone with a little more highs and they take away about 75% of all string noise which i love! The gauges are pretty weird, 40-96, 44-102 and 44-106. I just ordered the 96 set and i have had the 106 set before. They sound very nice when they are broken in also, they become a bit flatwoundish in sound.
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    TI's and Chromes are good to slap on and have a more roundish sound than traditional flats.

5. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    try D'Addario's Half-Rounds, they're basically rounds but ground mostly flat.