Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help on first rig decesion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkspec, Feb 20, 2003.

1. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Im looking to get my first bass rig. And after long thinking and looking around, I came to this setup:

Hartke 3500 Head

In that order from top to bottom. Anyone know how this would sound? Will the hartke 3500 be enough to power both or do i need to step up to the 7000? Or the 4000? Please help!!!!

2. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    bump

3. you may wnat to step to the 7000...the 4000 isn't logical because a)50 watts won't make an audible difference in volume, and b)It's a totally different amplifier...the 3500 and 7000 have tube pre-amps and graphic EQ's...the 4000 is all solid state...and doesn't sound as good IMO...

4. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    While I'm not here to offer advice on WHAT you should get, I will admit to being VERY jealous that you're looking at something like this for your FIRST rig. :^>)

My first amp was a 12 watt Premier with a single 12' speaker. I bought it (and my first bass) with my paper route money. If you're paying for this stuff yourself (I snuck a look at your profile), you're going to go far in life.

If your parents are helping you with this, would you kindly ask them if they'd consider ADOPTING another son.......... me?

Thank You for your time and enjoy all there is to enjoy about playing music. :)

Peace,
    RB

www.richbriere.com

5. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I have a Fender Bassman 15B combo amp. And it sucks, balls. I want something that I can gig with and rock the walls with. My parents wont be helping me buy this. Im decideing what to save my money up for, I only have a small amount right now, But I start my first job in a month or so. A amp is what I need, and since Ive gone trough alot of my life with close to nothing. This is my goal. This is what I need.

P.S. How about a Carvin R500 or R1000 instead of the Hartke? I dont want to have to upgrade any time soon.

6. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    But tell me, how do you REALLY feel? lol :D

OK, if I were you, I'd start socking away the money from your NEW job (congratulations by the way) and when you get $500-$600 I'd head for a couple of your local music stores and check out what's available in the "previously owned" category. Again, perhaps you have a "experienced" TalkBass brother or sister who would go shopping with you??

I, personally, would look at some of the OLD Sunn stuff. Because it's not "in vogue" at the moment, you can get a GREAT deal on some STUNNING bass amps.

Try to buy something that you can add on to if you have a BIG gig or, by the same token, can cut down if you have a rehearsal or a small gig. A top priority for NEW players is "How am I gonna' haul this stuff around".

I've always enjoyed 4x10 cabinets because you can take one if that's all you need............or just keep adding on if you continue to feel the need to shake the house. Good Luck and enjoy your music. :bassist:

PS: Hang on to your Frontman B...........you'll always want to keep a small amp around the house for use as a practice amp. Trust me on this one.

Peace,
    RB

7. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I forgot to mention........you're a male AND a bass player. You'll begin thinking about UPGRADING as you're loading your NEW amp in the car to take it home from the store for the very first time. We're shameless when it comes to "upgrading". :)

Peace,
    RB

www.richbriere.com

8. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Im not getting rid of the 15B. Thats my baby, Its just I need more power. And I dont like Combo Amps. I want a nice Head/Cab setup. Im really looking at the Carvin's. But I would like to try one first....Hard to do since im in Ohio. As for the big brother/sister thing......I dont know any TB Ohio Guys. But, Im willing to meet some.

9. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    yeah, lol, Its a hormone thing....But I've got my heart set on the Carvin R1000 now and a Avatar 4X10, maybe a 1X15 if I can afford it.

10. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Im down in akron =P

11. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Well Sir............if you've got your heart set on something......that "something" suddenly takes on a NEW status. It becomes "a DREAM". And, since DREAMS are the only things we have that nobody can EVER take away from us.........enjoy your dream. :)

Peace,
    RB

www.richbriere.com

12. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Cool man, where you get your gear from? Guitar Center is cool, nice place. But I know they are heartless mofos out for da cash.

13. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Whoa, this thread is getting hot lol. Alot of replies. I seriously dream about my new amp. Draw pictures of it and such. My girlfriend thinks im crazy! LoL

14. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Your not crazy, its called gas.

My dream rig/heart set on rig chanced almost every day before i chose something.

15. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

The Hartke 3500 is an EXCELLENT sounding head. Really!! I would try it with the 4-10 & 1-15. You can prolly find a used one for $300. If you want to sell it, you will get all your money back. The Carvin, you will take a big hit if you want to sell it. Besides, you won't hear hardly any volume difference in 350 and 1000 watts.

16. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Seriously? How loud will the 3500 get? Im considering the 7000 for future upgrades.

17. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Thats true except it'll distort less at higher volumes, and the sound won't get muddy when you turn it up. Basically, more power = better sounding. Don't go crazy and ruin those speakers though. You might want to look at SWR Workingman, or GK. Heck, just play everything and take home what sounds best (or has the most buttons and is the most expensive... muahahhahahahaahaha gas...).

18. Rockbobmel

...I think it would be plenty loud in a hard rock setting PROVIDED that you select effecient speakers. This is VERY important. Stay away from low sensitivity speaker enclosures. Again, if you get one used, you will get all your money back if you want to sell it. They are very buyable/sellable.

19. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Ok, so honestly. Which will be better? The H3500 or CR1000? The 1.000 watts really turns me on. But, Then again, Im only going on 16 and maybe the 350 will do the job?

20. Rockbobmel

I was always with th More is better. You need TEN times the power to double your volume.So a 350W amp is only Slightly less loud than a 1000W. You would need a 3500W amp to be twice as loud. That's why I made emphasis on speaker efficiency. You can make a 350 watt amp much louder than a 1000 watter IF you use the right speakers. Check other threads on this. There are plenty.