1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help on first tube head, Ampeg V4BH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TeamTrejo, Apr 16, 2010.

1. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    I'm picking up an Ampeg V4BH from a local seller this weekend. If it all goes down as expected it should sit nicely atop my SVT-410 HE.

Asking price is $650 firm, mint, perfect working condition. Not sure on the year. Made in USA by SLM

Since I've never owned an all tube head before, I need some help on what to check out before putting my $$ on the table.

Thanks in advance.

2. Look at the big tubes and see if anything large is glowing cherry red.

The amp should not hum either.

Paper bills in hand should change that $650 figure somewhat.

Oh, and be ready to walk should it not be to your liking. Seems with the economy, everything is going up except the way people care for and maintain gear.

3. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    Thanks. I'll be sure to look "under the hood" so to speak while its powered up.

I don't think there is too much wiggle room on the price. Certainly not a steal but from the research I've done, it seems pretty reasonable for this head.

Any other tips?

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Also look to make sure none of the power tubes are milky whiteish that usually means a vaccuum leak and bad tubes.

5. i really like this head. be careful when moving it though as the knobs snap off easily.

6. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    When testing the amp, make sure you connect a proper load/speaker cab to it. Turning on a tube amp without a load is not a good thing.

7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009

True, but its not as bad if you don't pump a signal through it.

8. if your cranking it up and getting some grind, turn down the tweeter on your cab

9. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    Finally brought it home. It really was in mint condition. Not a scratch, dent or smudge. Not even dusty. From the serial # I figured the date of manufacture is June of 2006. What year were these discontinued?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the info guys. It really helped.
    I almost pulled the trigger a couple of times on a SVT 350, glad I waited.

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Nice!!!!!!!!!! I briefly had a reissue fliptop which was in essence this head with a 1x15.....it KILLED. Might be picking up another one tomorrow, been keeping my eye out for them.

11. Very nice.