Help on Funk

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hants, Jan 2, 2006.

1. hants

Oct 11, 2005
    It seems that a load of people here are really in to funk. Im quite new to the music, but would like to broaden my taste. I listen to all kinds of music and funk is one of the last posts I havn't covered yet, but sure as sensored would like to.

So now every one on funk, come on and tell me of bands and albums that you really dig. The only criterion is that the music has attitude and that it (if possible) wouldn't be too electric if you know what I mean. If you dont, I meant that it isn't too much computer made. Im looking for funk with loads of good bass, a "self-played" fealing and a good attitude.

Oh, and before anybody says that check from theres not much use because I dont know on what band to start on.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
  2. primus, stevie wonder
  3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    There are a lot of great recommendations in Vorago's links.

Be sure to check out Standing in the Shadows of Motown, both the DVD and the Book/CD. Both are totally different. The movie is really for anyone. The Book drills into transcriptions and the bass side of Motown, in particular. Required viewing/reading/studying/listening for any pop bassist.

On the Jazz side of things, I didn't notice anyone mention Herbie Hancock's Headhunters (Paul Jackson - bass), but they definitely lay down the funk.

Anything with Marcus Miller is guaranteed. He's got solo material, a couple of Miles Davis albums, and David Sanborn stuff among the more visible recordings.
  4. hants

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks for all the advise! I totally forgot about Stevie Wonder, but doesn't he have just a few straightforward funk songs. Stevies music is superb anyways.

Got already some good tips from the other threads. Somehow didnt find when running a search on this stuff.
  5. werebunny

Aug 30, 2005
    Try some Les Claypool Fancy Band bootlegs...

Not the best quality (hit or miss sometimes), but i've been constantly listening to them for about 6 months and i'm into a lot of funk generally.