Help on head and cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marius mifsud, Jan 21, 2020.

1. marius mifsud

marius mifsud

Jan 21, 2020
    Hello, I am new here and I do not understand much about what a head can have as a cab or cabs.

So at the moment in my location there are the following for sale (its not much but I live on a small island lol):

Hartke HA3500C 350 with a Hartke VX115
    and I am thinking for one of the following to go with the above:

• Trace Elliot 1528 cab
    • Peavey TVX 410 EX

Now the questions is would the Hartke HA3500C 350 support:
    Hartke VX115 & Trace Elliot 1528 cab or Hartke VX115 & Peavey TVX 410 EX?

And if it supports both whats the best set up for stoner/sludge metal in your opinion?

Regards
    Marius

UPDATE - Specs
    Peavey TVX 410 EX Bass Cabinet:
    - 350W RMS
    - 700W Peak
    - Four 10" Sheffield Speakers
    - 8 Ohms

Hartke HA3500C 350

- Power: 350 watts at 4 ohms, 250 watts at 8 ohms

Hartke VX115
    - Power Handling: 300 Watts @ 8 Ohms

Peavey TVX 410 EX
    - 500 Watts RMS, 8 Ohms

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Is the hartke a combo? Or do you have to get the head with the cab?

Omega Monkey likes this.
  3. marius mifsud

marius mifsud

Jan 21, 2020
    It is seperate a head and a cab: refer to image =]. Both are going for 350 euros, probably will go down to 300 euros

Attached Files:

4. PotsdamBass8

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    The hartke is 8 ohms, which means to pair it with another cab, the other would have to be 8 ohms to give you 4 total which is the lowest your amp wants to see. The trace is 8 ohms I think, but the peavey could be either 8 or 4. The second problem though, is If you pair either with the hartke, they’d be getting the same amount of power and the hartke cab would be close to dangerous levels while the other larger cab would be barely breaking a sweat. I’d personally try to get the head separate and pair with either of the other cabs, or if you have to buy the hartke as a pair, maybe see if the big cab is enough by itself and use the 1x15 as a portable solution or to leave at practice/home.

bbh likes this.
  5. marius mifsud

marius mifsud

Jan 21, 2020
    Is there is a simple formula how you can check what a bass head can have as cabs?

6. marius mifsud

marius mifsud

Jan 21, 2020
    thanks for the reply, i really appreciate

7. PotsdamBass8

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    The amp should say what the lowest resistance is it can take, usually 4 ohms but could be 8 or 2 rarely. Ohms are halved when you have two cabs with the same ohms rating, i.e. 8+8=4. As for over/under powering, it’s more complicated but mostly look at speaker cone area. A 15 is about half of what a 4x10 has and definitely half of a 2x15.

8. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    If you have to get the Hartke stuff as a package, do that and then sell the cab.

Buy the Trace cab to go with the head.

Be happy.

You're not going to gain anything by pairing any 2 of those 3 cabs together, and the Trace is by FAR the best among them. Even running the Hartke at 8 ohms through that thing should give you PLENTY of volume, amazing tone (assuming the speakers are original and not replaced with something not as good), and a buffer of enough wattage that should keep the cab in good shape as long as you don't overdo the low EQ and compression.

If you absolutely had to add another one of these cabs, I would go with the Peavey 4x10. But it could sound like total garbage either by itself and/or with the Trace.

9. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player

Jun 12, 2008
    Mixing cabinets like that is like rolling dice. They may "play well together", or they may not. Personally, I'm with Omega Monkey in that the quality of the Trace cabinet should be better than the others, and maybe you should just pick that one and sell of the rest. But you should maybe see how it sounds to you first, if you can.

And I likes this.
  10. I believe the 1528 cab should be 8ohm but you never know if it has had a driver transplant along the way. Should be plenty loud all by itself with 250w anyway.

11. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    I miss my 1524 (4 ohm version) every day. I powered it with an LH500, and it was heaven.

@Downunderwonder has a good point about the impedance though. If you can confirm it's still an 8 ohm cab, snatch that bad boy up! You will not be disappointed. And even if it IS 4 ohm....EVEN BETTER! You won't need to pair it with your VX.

12. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I will second @Sid Fang's comment about mixing two different types of cabs being a complete unknown. I would go with either the Trace Elliot or the Peavy 410, but not both.

13. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
  14. marius mifsud

marius mifsud

Jan 21, 2020
    Eddie LeBlanc likes this.