Help on how to bow this section

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Is it all legato, all one bow, up or down?

Thanks for help!

2. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Jan 24, 2002
    Frankfurt, Germany
    NS Design Endorsing Artist
    What is this? It appears to have three options clearly marked: by threes, sixes, and whole bars. If it's from a technical study, you should learn all three options. If it's repertoire, I guess they want you to split the bowings up through the bass section.

3. I believe it's from Nanny, page 25
    You should study all the options starting bow down
    Best regards
    Lino
    Nîmes, France

4. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Yes, it is from Nanny!! Merci, Lino! So is it down bow for each of the 3 options Paul identified (thanks Paul!) and then 3 up bows for the same?

By the way, I bought the Nanny book in a second hand store, looks pretty good, does it pre-date Simandl?

Thanks to both of you, again.

5. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I believe that the Simandl method is from 1881 and the Nanny from 1920.
    Simandl 1840-1912
    Nanny 1872-1942

6. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks neilG - whilst on methods and studies (....) is it good to mix up studies, for example one day concentrate on technical stuff, another simply play from orchestral pieces? I don't know that a diet of one is good (you could say this about a lot of things) but then again are there technical pieces one should practice daily? To answer my own question, does it depend on what weaknesses have been identified/ (I am guessing).

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021