1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help on inlay options

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nate thegreat, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Nate thegreat

Nate thegreat

Mar 29, 2013
    I recently purchased a fender p bass (used) from a local shop it had some crappy stickers on the fret board so took them off only to find swatsicas instead. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Swastikas?? Really??

Time to get some inlays stickers. Yeah, that's a real issue.

3. Wagz

Wagz

May 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    If you're handy with a small chisel or dremel tool, I'd say that neck is a perfect candidate for large block-style inlays. They're the easiest to do and you won't have to worry about a sticker ever falling off and exposing your bass' true evil nature - that would be seriously :scowl: :bawl:

4. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

Oct 28, 2012
    Largo Fla.
    Sell it to the guy looking for the best bass for punk.

5. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Donate it to a local prison skinhead band????

6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Best suggestion, but a TON of work.

7. Nate thegreat

Nate thegreat

Mar 29, 2013
    I dont really know anything about how to go about using the drimil tool on it. Does anybody know around how much it would cost to have someone replace them for me?

8. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Impossible to say. You have provided no hard data. Images, or a link to images would help. In lieu of that, measuring the size of the damage and the location(s) are key in preparing an estimate.

9. Nate thegreat

Nate thegreat

Mar 29, 2013
  10. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    buy or trade the neck for another...you never know....someone may actually like it...
    I would do that first..

11. Wow. Just....... Wow.

That'd take some work with a dremel and probably leave any block inlays looking pretty unnatural, because of the size of the current inlays.

If I were in your shoes, depending on how much I spent on the bass in the first place, I'd either take it back if possible (probably even be willing to eat a loss on it) or replace the neck completely and use the old neck for firewood.

I'm not normally superstitious, but that neck has some bad juju on it that I wouldn't want to mess with. Even doctoring some new inlays or getting some inlay stickers, I would always know what's really there.

Eeeesh. Tough call.

5sg.

12. Nate thegreat

Nate thegreat

Mar 29, 2013
    The thing is though that the neck has a squared heel and i cant find another p bass neck like that idk if it was cut or what. Would a telecaster bass neck work? ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364660621.734403.

13. deerfield

deerfield

Mar 25, 2013
    Italy
    who's so sick to route swastikas on a bass neck? In some countries (Germany I think and Israel for sure) you'd be even legally actionable if you show it in public. I'd send it back to the shop. Sorry, you had bad luck

14. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    How did they create the designs? Are they inlaid? Or are they painted on?

15. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'd take it back and demand a refund.

16. Have to agree. Sounds like a neck might be difficult to find. Take it back and get a refund. You bought a product that wasn't what it seemed to be.

No one's asked... how much did you spend on the bass?

5sg.

17. Nate thegreat

Nate thegreat

Mar 29, 2013
    Spent 80$ then painted and refinished the body all I have left is to buff and put some new pickups in i think ill get a tele bass neck. Would it fit since the body already has a squared heel socket?

18. Nate thegreat

Nate thegreat

Mar 29, 2013
    The swatsicas look like they are inlaid.

19. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Inlays can be painted over or have larger inlays installed. Paint will eventually wear off. Inlaying a neck is an expensive proposition that requires a high degree of skill. Even using plastic inlays will still be expensive.

There are two other things that come to mind. The first idea is to inlay a maple veneer from fret to fret. This would involve routing the fingerboard 1/28" deep between the frets, gluing the veneer, and refinishing. A little less expensive than inlay pearl or plastic.

The other thing than comes to mind is that no one knows how deep the existing inlay is. It may not be too deep. If that is the case, scraping between the frets may be enough to obliterate the offensive design. Follow with tinted lacquer and it's done.

Cost is variable depending on location. If professionally done, all will cost more than a cheap replacement neck. Pearl will cost the most followed by plastic inlays. Veneer should be a little less. Scraping and refinishing is down and dirty, may not look great, but will be more economical.

Painting is not recommended.

As far as the square rout in the body goes, as long as the neck is properly installed it should not cause any problems.