Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help on making an O.D pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by katri, Sep 7, 2005.

1. hey im just asking if anyone out there has made their own pedals and how they turned out and also if anyone can give me advice on how to do it as it is somthing i would love to do but have little knoledge of i would like to get the timmy c/ guv'nor type sound any help would be valued thanks

2. I have made and modified many-a-pedal, and by far the best resource for this type of thing that I've found is at my favorite forum at www.diystompboxes.com

3. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    yeah that's a pretty good resource, but does anyone have any links to bass-specific pedals??? i've looked around heaps and can only find a few....

4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    That's the best ressource I ever found. Bass specific DIY ? You're dreaming...

But don't worry, on diystompboxes there is lots of people, guitarists and bassists.

5. well, not dreaming, but not looking hard enough... or for slightly the wrong thing;

DIY, google "bazz fuss"

non-DIY google ideas; roger mayer voodoo bass fuzz, Zvex Wooly Mammoth, Blackbox X-ray etc... I think chunk systems do one... ok so they're not OD, but close!

6. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Sorry, I misunderstood this.

I was speaking of general ressources, such as this DIY forum. For just a link to a bass OD, that can be found, of course.

But to find help on the schematic, the DIY forum is for me the best place on earth. There's lots of great people there.

7. What kind of "sound" do you want? I've got a few on my web site that work well for bass, IMHO.

Ditto on the Bazz Fuss. :cool: :bassist: Don't know your skill level. But, that's a pretty simple build, and I'd recommend building one to anyone at any skill level.

Good luck!
    ~ Charlie

8. Sweets

Sweets

Aug 2, 2005
    A buddy of mine got a "Screamer" from Build Your Own Clone and modded it with some kind of chip/resistor so that it doesn't remove as much bass and spike the midrange (or maybe adds bass), and it sounds pretty good on his guitar and surprisingly good on my bass. I'm thinking about grabbing one myself and giving it a try.

9. i want the marshall guv'nor type growl sound and i see wat u mean about the lack of bass shematics

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Then make a Marshall Guv'nor and mod it to taste :) I think most of the bass mods to the Guv'nor would be in the tone stack.

But my trick for bass is to build one stage at a time. So build the input stage... does it kill the bass? No, then it can be left alone. Yes, get it working then move on.

This would work well with the Guv'nor with two gain stages, a "clipping stage" (can you call two diodes a stage?) and the tone stack.

Another trick is a blend pedal (or a blend pot in the effect). Adding some of the raw, or possible low filtered, sound back in tend to help keep the bass feel.

11. would it be simpler if i only had a level control so i only need 1 pot or would this end up more confusing

12. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You probably want at least two pots: gain and volume. The gain controls the amount of distortion and the volume controls the output volume. Cranking the gain usually requires reducing the volume.

Leaving out the tone stack would make it simpler, but might affect the sound of the pedal too much.

13. ok then im just asking cus i have no clue at all wat im doing and i want to get it right

14. i ve seen some of the specs for the guv'nor and i dont know if ill manage with my minimal skills is there a simple bass fuzz spec out there

15. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    yeah i know I kinda am dreaming, just thought i'd put it out there to see if anyone had any good resources..... and I have looked and found some but I just meant does anyone have any bass-specific links so I dont have to wade through pages of guitar crap....

seen the BAZZ FUZZ, also a bass balls clone and a hogs foot bass booster but thats about it...

16. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You have to wade through the guitar crap :(

Many guitar pedals will work with bass. For example, I have tried the TS bass mod recommended by moosapotamus. Works great.

A TS is a good first attempt. A Big Muff also works well. I actually found the guitar mods, done carefully, work great. Don't reduce the input, output, or stage coupling caps. Just the distortion caps.