Help on my warwick custom bass building

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bom, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Bom

Jan 20, 2004
    i am about to place an order for the Warwick streamer LX broadneck with 3 bands MEC eq ovangkol neck with wenge fretboard....but still stuck with which wood i should get...
    here's the list of what i'm interested
    if i want a punchy powerful and tight sound ,which should i get?
    it'd be great if you you guys could describe each wood tonaly....and feel free to tell me tips and if i should order one with two kind of woods(top+back) for better tone ...thank you so much!!
  2. Bom

Jan 20, 2004
  3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    macassar - bright, lots of sustain
    koa - warm

Those are the only ones I know well enough to describe to you. For the punchy, powerful, and tight sound (as you describe it), I'd recommend an ebony fretboard, maple neck, walnlut body, and maple top.
  4. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    The only woods of that list that I know about are Ziricote, Walnut, Ovangkol, Macassar, and Koa. Macassar and Ziricote are both members of the ebony family and give a tight and crisp high end. These woods may go unfinished. I suggest you go on ebay and just take a look around at pieces of Ziricote. In my opinion, it ties with burl Redwood for that jaw-droppingly stunning look (though they look nothing alike). If I were you, I would put Ziricote as a fingerboard. It just looks great there.

I'm not sure if it's the Ovangkol or the Bubinga on a fretless Warwick I played tonight, but the thing had a massive amount of tight thump. The fingerboard I believe was Ebony and did sound very crisp.

Koa is warm sounding and also freaking expensive unless you live in Hawaii. A bookmatched flame Koa top would look and sound very good.

Walnut has a focused low end and also makes for awesome tops. A good flame or burl Wanut top would look killer on a Warwick and sound even more killer as a body back.

For more info, go here:
    The Wanut, Redwood, and Wenge pictures don't do justice to how the woods look in real life. In your list of woods for options I would throw out Ovangkol and substitute it with Bubinga.

Here's a link to an ebay search on Ziricote:
  5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hmm...I'd definatley say Zebrano for the body wood. It has a really punchy, tight sound but with a solid low end. It's quite heavy but you have to deal with the weight if you want it's joyous tonal character! Also, Ziricote works very well as a fretboard wood, it has a strong, solid and crisp sound, which would round off the package perfectly!
  6. My Streamer has a tight, compressed low end and low mid thump, and is predominantly swamp ash with a maple top. I think the density of the woods warwick uses tend to give that tight compressed sound anyway, as well as body shape (Big factor IMO).
  7. Bom

Jan 20, 2004
    thanks a lot guys......just got a reply from warwick and i think i'm gonna go with the zebrano it'll be
    Streamer LX Broadneck
    zebrano body
    ovangkol neck
    wenge fingerboard
    black hardware with D-tuner
    ...i'll show you the bass when i got it......thanks a lot

mmm......but i really like macassar...........might top the zebrano with that....what do you think? does it make any sense topping an exotic wood with
  8. Bom

Jan 20, 2004
    oh and the electronic will be the 3 way EQ i could take charge of the mid range