Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help on new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crazy_Fingers27, Jan 6, 2004.

1. warwick corvette proline 6

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. yamaha TRB 6

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. ibanez SR3006

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hi all,
    im looking into a new six string, and i have it down to three.

yamaha trb 6
    http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=4411&Category=Basses

a warwick corvette proline 6
    http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/corvette_proline.html

or an iabnez sr3006
    http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SR3006E&z=y

alright, i play alot of progressive and jazz, so i want a really fast neck, and good low end tone. but i also would like one that slaps well, but a fast neck is my main concern right now (that, and the overall quality of course)

any help is appreciated.

also, if anyone has any other suggestions along that price range that meets my specifications (including custom basses) will be greatly appreciated

2. I like the warwick tone better then the Ibanez....so I chose the Corvette.

And as for Yamaha...they make dirt bikes,not basses.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 for the Warwick.

4. i just got home from the local guitar shop.

as i said before, i do need a fast neck, and the yamaha had a fast neck, which i liked, and trust me, this bass is no piece of junk. just because yamaha makes dirt bikes, it doesnt mean their basses suck. the TRB has been said to be one of the best basses in its price range.

anyway, about the warwick, i just went and played it, i like the neck, so for voting from now on, forget the neck situation (i found the warwick and the yamaha were equal for me as far as playability and how comfortable i was)

on another note, exclude the ibanez. i went and played it, and i hated it. it had a nice sound, but i just thought it felt horrid, and it looks alot worse in person than it does on the net (not that looks are the most important, playability and sound are really important, and looks are a huge plus)

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. :rolleyes: x1000000.

Have you ever actually played a Yamaha bass? Well if you haven't then I suggest you do, then you can post a sensible comment on them.

7. bump

8. I'd get the Yamaha, but then that's just me. They have solid construction, good sound and wide string spacing, which I prefer.

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Ditto on the Yamaha. I really like them. I found them to play well and to sound good.

10. I personally think the Ibanez SR series is VERY nice. Stephen Soto has a SR3005 and it is awesome. Fast neck and feels great along with an amazing tone. Instead of excluding Ibanez, maybe try out the BTB406 or 1006? They seem to be very nice Ibanez basses.

11. Yeah, they make horrible basses, thats why John Myung's sounds so damn good and looks really nice :rolleyes: (Note: John Myung was the first bassist who popped into my mind that plays Yamahas)

12. Yamaha = Billy Sheehan, Nathan East, John Myung, John Pattituci (and ofcourse they make great drums too, for instance Steve Gadd, and David Garibaldi play Yamaha) I'd say go for the Yamaha, I like 'em

btw. Yamaha does make nice motors too, I like this one....
    [​IMG]

13. I knew there were tons more :p I just was happening to be listening to Dream Theater when I read this and *poof* John Myung!

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Oh, I didn't realize that John Myung plays a 6 string "dirt bike".

Best (& most musical) sounding "dirt bike" I ever heard.

:eek:

:confused:

:meh:

;)

[Sorry; I coundn't help myself.]

:bassist: