Help on pickup shopping!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by venezuelanbass, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Im about to buy either a nice spector (europe) 5 string, or an american fender jazz bass 5 string, i loved the fender neck, but man! the output is weak as hell! do you guys know what are the best pick ups to mount on a fender jazz bass 5, to make it really punky and loud? thx.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    EMG's would kick out the jams very well. Or you could use Bartolinis. Either would be pretty kickin'.
  3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I just put the Bartolini 57J's into my MIA Jazz V and it is a HUGE difference. The tone is amazing, since there was NO tone before, the output is up, not a ton but it's up. Also, they were only 120 from I'd recommend you give them a shot, you won't be disappointed. The Mod for pickups, Ivar, has the same pickups in his Jazz V and loves them also.
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

I highly recommend them!
  5. Which pickups would fit in the routes on the MIM Jazz V?

Are they the same size? I'd also choose to remain passive.
  6. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Kent Armstrong. He still makes a 5 string Jazz, I think, thats definately in need of checking out. He used to make the pickups in Reverends, which can sometimes have more output than a Stingray (I kid you not). The Jazzes are passive, I think the soapbars are the only actives he makes.
  7. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Ralphdaddy and Ivar,

I also have an MIA Deluxe V and am looking to find a B string. It seems to be there acoustically, but it's very weak and blurry thru the amp. Did the Bart pickups bring better clarity and string to string balance? How about the B? Did you also swap out the preamp or did you leave in the Fender unit?

Thank you, in advance, for your info. I think I have tried every string and outboard preamp option I could find and can't quite get the sound in my head to come through the amp.
  8. Bekkeland

May 16, 2003
    Sandnes, Norway
    The Barts are a huge improvement in string to string balance. I have the Barts wired to a J-Retro in my MIA jazz V. Works great!
  9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yes the Barts helped with the string balance.

The B is not as overbearing as it was before.

The A and D string were a bit too loud but that was something that I fixed with adjusting the pickup height.