Help on Polytone repair needed.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Alexandre, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Alexandre

Apr 14, 2000
    I broke the 15' speaker of my polytone amplifier and changed it, but since I did not use the same speaker parts, the sound is not the same anymore. As a matter of fact, it is much worse! I live in Brasil and do not know how to find good components to make the substitution. Also, I cannot find any information on the internet about polytone dealers wich can send me the cone speaker. I'll apreciate any information that coul'd help me to find polytone parts or even any part that could match polytone specifications and substitute them.
    Thanks in advance, or as we say in Brasil,
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What kind of speaker did you change it out with? I imagine the problem is that you used a lower quality component, or one with a different depth, or both. You have to be careful with Polytone speaker replacements because of their infamous sealed cabinet design - the cabs aren't very deep, which means that many speakers don't fit properly (I tried replacing the speaker in my Minibrute 12" years ago, and none of the replacements would fit).

EDIT: I just ran a google search for "Polytone", and came up with the following.

The first site doesn't give any information beyond "Heavy Duty 15" Speaker". :rolleyes: But there may be some useful info on some of the other sites. Good luck.
  3. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    With a sealed cabinet that small the Thiel-Small speaker design parameters are of critical importance. You're probably going to have to find an exact replacement or perhaps get that speaker reconed. An e-mail direct to Polytone might be a good place to start.
  4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    (Located in Ontario, Canada)
    Deals worldwide.