Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help on rewiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by djohnson1974, Oct 30, 2002.

1. djohnson1974

djohnson1974

Oct 30, 2002
    I just finished replacing all the wiring and replacing the original mono input jack for a stereo one in my Fender precision..

Now it's not working!!!!!

I noted down all the wiring arrangements before I dismantled it and rewired it exactly the same.

Does anyone know if soldering can damage anything on pickups/pots as this is the only thing I can think has gone wrong!!!!

HELP, i need my baby working again :(

2. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    If you rewired it all the same, why did you put in a stereo plug? If it is standard wiring you don't need a stero plug.
    That's probably where you problem lies.

3. djohnson1974

djohnson1974

Oct 30, 2002
    Was only replacement plug I could get at short notice (old one packed up!!) will source a new mono jack and try that.

4. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Stereo jack doesn't make a difference if you wired it 'hot tip, 'ground ' sleeve. Stereo jack is the same only with on extra lug for 'ring'.
    Yes indeed you can fry pots with too much heat from th soldering iron, it is very common if you don't have much experience.
    Pickups can be disarmed very fast. If you break any part of those tiny coil wires your pickup will not work.
    Personally I would check your ground connections, re-check your wiring and make CERTAIN that your output jack is wired correctly. Hot is wired to tip, ground is wired to sleeve.

Best of luck.