Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help on stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davelowell, Feb 7, 2001.

1. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i am really close to getting a stingray and i would like for you guys to tell me any bad points you know of as far as construction, quality. also, aside from the 2 band eq, what are the major diffs in pre ernie ball music man stingrays? how does the 3 bolt neck hold up?

thanks
    dave

2. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Hi, I don't know anything about the early stingrays, but I got to tell you that the new ones that I have been checking out are built like a freaking tank. Most bassists that I have talked with respect the quality coming out of Ernie ball. I say get the Stingray and play it until your fingers fall off.

3. FuegodeX

FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000
  4. bassicallymusic

bassicallymusic

Feb 9, 2001
    Well I had a stingray for 24 years. (got it in 1976) I swapped it recently for a G&L. Why? It got too heavy for me. But I loved it, never had a problem, it worked 3 nights a week plus practice all that time, and apart from the silver paint going a little blond didn't cause any trouble. But my G&L is lighter, has more switches (so what!!) & I'm sorry that I am not rich enough to be able to have kept the Stingray (serial no B5265)
    Ken

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    As for the construction. There are one of the best NON-CUSTOM MADE basses around!!!! The play great, the satin finish on the neck is incredible & lightning fast to play. I just never really liked the sound. I've also has a "76 StingRay & I've got to agree w/bassicallymusic, It was HEAVY. also it had a slab body (no contours for your body or arm to rest on) which made it a little uncomfortable to play. I've never had a problem w/any basses I've had w/3 bolt necks. (72 J, 76 MM, 2 G&L L-2000) I personally think that is a rumor!!! If you can find an older Pre "Ernie Ball" @ a good price, jump on it cause they are more collectable & soung just as good if not better that the newer ones.

But you have to PLAY 1, PLAY 2, then PLAY 20 more!!! Your opinion on how the bass plays, feels & sounds is the most important. :)

6. I have a 4 string Ray, 3EQ with maple board....

They are fantastic. I know the older ones were real heavy, the new ones are about 9.5 pounds which is heavy, but you'll get used to it. The necks are beefy and pretty fat (front to back) - if u got small hands you might have trouble.

The tone, OH MY GAWWWD! - deep, flaky, punchy, booming, warm, crisp, tight, singing mids... thumping lows...it has one distinctive sound which can be tailored massively with the EQ and your fingers!

I truly love my Ray and I dont imagine finding a bass I like more... and the plus is they look goddam great!

The only slight issue I have is that the neck is very sensitive to temp changes consequently the action changes regularly. Probly coz I got mine brand new tho..?

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'd say the major diff between the old ones and the new ones is weight. The new ones are lighter. I've got a '99 'Ray 5 that I just love. It's a joy to play and I've never seen a better made production instrument. They are THE bass for funkin', IMO.

8. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I just wan't to add that new stingrays have 6 bolt necks. And they're great. I've never had a problem. One of them actually came down from staircase when i was moving ( 2 floors...) and it only got a little scratch on the finish and one string went just a bit out of tune.

9. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I saw your ebay bass foegodex

YOU PAID $1500.00? HA HA HA HA HA HA AHHHHHHHH HA HA
    (cough) HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

you got taken my friend. I got mine for $1145.00 at Guitar Center.

(cough):)))

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    LowIQB Thats a bit insensitive.

Also some of the cut price merchants give p****poor service and don't set it up. And if you buy a bass from 500 miles away to save money hope it never goes wrong. I paid £1050 because here in UK the prices are extremely high.

Show some maturity and pull the post you have had your fun.

NB if you are like the last poster I had a disagreement with and send me an abusive e-mail I will put your address on the blocked senders list along with his.

Have a nice day

11. Good call CS!!! As Bass players we must stick together not abuse each other, come on half the world thinks we play bass because we can't play guitar, We all have heard the joke many times....

Q:Who do Singers and Bass Players hang with?

A:Musicians!

Well that is one reason we stick together world-wide.....
    By the way back to the original ? I do not own a Stinger, I have a G&L L-2500, but I have played many Stingrays, and I might have to purchase one just for s*#ts and giggles....They have an unmistakable tone.....

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    <u>How & Why</u> did my name get dragged into this?

13. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Most sellers inflate what they paid to make the deal look sweeter. I know I would. I never have a problem with what someone pays for anything, let alone a bass. It's their money and their business.
    Doc

14. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Nino :) I didnt mean you.

Snyderz thats what I meant, but I was less diplomatic about it.

15. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    First to bassicallyjustmusic:I hope Im not the first to tell you that Inca silver is the rarest color in Pre-EB Rays.Next youll tell me it had a Rosewood board too!
    Inca silver wasnt made until 1977.So if yours was bought in 76,it was probably some kind of test bass(for the paint).You say it was too heavy.Probably an Ash body.Natural,that horrible brown,and I think black and white were Ash also.Sunburst was Alder.Sunbursts are also less common.Natural is the most common.
    I hope you got PLENTY of dough for your Inca!
    I had an Inca with a Rosewood fretless board(one of 8)and I got $2000.about 3 years ago.
    There also may have been a batch of Silvers made right around the transition to E/B.All the basses at that time(79 80)were heavy and built like tanks.
    I have a first month(76) Burst with white pickguard and plastic knobs.(one of about 30)And a 78 burst with Ebony fretless board.Both of which were photographed for an upcoming book.
    I have owned MANY Rays over the years.Ernie and Pre-Ernie.
    All are well made.
    Only had a problem with the rosewood necks on the early Sabre basses.
    There is a big difference between Ernies and Pre's!
    The Pre is low impedance!!When you record you can go direct to tape! No board no EQ no direct box, nada.
    Nothing sounds like them.You plug in,turn everything up.back the treble of 1/8 of a turn,and youve got Gods tone.
    No tweaking no hassles.Engineers flip!
    The early 76s also have double deep magnets which add to the tone.
    An important thing tp look for on an early Ray is that the polyester finish on the fretboard itself is there.If it was sanded off the bass can sound dull.
    Live these basses cut through great!
    Ernies are excellent basses too!But if you "A/B'd"them the early one win easy.Enough of my rambling!

16. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Thanks to Mr. Gump for that history lesson. You mentioned something about a book coming out? What is the story with that?

17. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Paul Bechtholdt writes for Vintage Guitar magazine,among others.He has written a book on G+L,and another on Danelectro.He has a book in the works on the history of Musicman(and more G+L).
    Just so no one mis understands-in my previous post I mentioned problems with early Sabre necks.I mean the 1979+ Sabre,not the Ernie Ball Sabre!

18. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    thank you everyone for your input!!! i have been for three days the proud owner of a brand new black sparkle four string stingray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love it!! i will try to post a pic, but am not too sure how yet. just an experiment,

thanks again!!

dave

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1408012&a=11466938

19. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    it does work, this link.

dave

20. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Congrats! My black sterling should be here Monday..I am psyched!