Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help on tab

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rhcp17, Feb 6, 2002.

1. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    i cant find a tab for "and the beat goes on" by the whispers, can anyone help me its an awesome bass line. Thanks

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    General Instruction!

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    figure it out for yourself. you wont become a better player by reading tAbZ...

you will feel great if you get the whole line down all by yourself...

4. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ditto.

rhcp17: just take it slowly, note by note. Hum the line to yourself. Yes, you will feel great if you can get the whole line by yourself. :)

If you're having particular trouble, I'm sure someone can help you. But it's well worth trying it yourself first.

Be well,
    Stephanie

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi RHCP,

You might get some help here with the Tab, but more than likely nobody is going to completely tab it out for you.

You haven't made any mention yet of your skill level, experience, or how much time you've put into the song already, so I hope my advice isn't too remedial. (It's what I do, and I've had good success learning songs this way).

First, listen. Don't even touch your bass. Just listen to the song. If the song is complex, I will listen to it at least 3 times before I even pick up the bass. Just listen to the song over and over and over.

Analyze. Have you noticed any patterns to the song? For instance, do you hear a particular passage over and over? Is there a form you recognize, like a I-IV-V blues form or something like that? Can you identify a key it's in? Maybe, maybe not.

Take it slow. I know this will be hard, especially if you're used to tabs being out there. But, face it, you're going to come across tunes that don't have tabs, just like you are now. What to do about it? Develop your ear. Seriously, take the song note for note, just like STEPHANIE said. Take it REAL slow. That may be frustrating, but you're doing it right!. And just like anything in life, the more you do it, the easier it will become. Play the CD, identify the first note. Pause after that first note is played, then just start playing all 12 pitches until you find the one that fits. Do that for each note. I'm guessing the song isn't too tough, although I don't know it off the top of my head. Just go slow, and while that will be frustrating, it will become easier and easier. I promise.

Good luck.

Tabs are evil.