1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help on vintage Harmony

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toprekoms, Oct 11, 2010.

1. toprekoms

toprekoms Inactive

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    Hi All,
    I just picked up a beautiful 60's Harmony P-Bass in candy apple red. What's unusual is that not only does it have a pair of P-Bass pickups, it also has a huge (almost 1" thick) humbucker above the bridge. I know it's all original, and had never been disassembled before, but I can't find out anything about this beautiful bass. It has a mahogany body (I pulled the neck looking for a serial number), gorgeous one piece maple neck with an outstanding rosewood fret board, two volumes, one tone. Quality Fender style elephant ear tuners. The headstock has the distinctive shape of the older Harmonys, and the Harmony est. 1892 logo, not the later Fender rounded off style. This baby weighs 10.2 lbs. and is nicely balanced. Can anyone enlighten me? Never did find a serial number, even in the pickup cavaties.
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. Pics?

3. According to the 12th edition of the Blue Book of Electric Guitars, Harmony only made 3 electric basses, the H22, H25, & H27 models respectively. Of those, only the H25 is listed as having a P-bass style offset double cutaway body and was only available in Cherry Red, manufactured from 1966-1971.

The H22 is a hollow body bass and the H27 is a single cutaway Les Paul style (again, according to the book, which has no pictures).

All 3 models are listed as having a single Golden Tone pickup, which should be the large humbucker, so it sounds like yours has had some modifications. Additionally, the volume and tone knob should be of a push-pull arrangement for establishing pre-set volume & tone settings.

So sayeth da book. I'm dumber than a rock so I couldn't vouch for anything.

-Bob

4. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Not late 60's. More like late 70's and 80's, even 90's too.

5. I just want the pix.

6. guitarhuckster1

guitarhuckster1

Aug 28, 2010
    Finland
    They also made the H420 and the H22/1. Any Harmony that has the "est. 1892" logo or is a copy of another manufacturers model is made in Asia and doesn't have anything to do with the real Harmony company.

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
  8. toprekoms

toprekoms Inactive

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    Thanks for eveyone's help. I've actually found all the information cited, but nothing about this particular instrument. As the neck rout shows, the body appears to be mahogany, and the overspray in the mini humbucker cavity looks the same as the others, so I don't think it's been repainted, or altered. The scale is 34.5", the nut is 1 21/32", and the 12th fret measures 2 1/4". Bound neck, split P-Bass-Jazz pick guard, two volumes, one tone. Really nice. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

9. Dang that's a purdy bass!!

I soooo miss my 70's harmony P bass :bawl:

10. toprekoms

toprekoms Inactive

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    I would like to sell or trade. What's it worth.
    Thanks

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    good looking bass

12. toprekoms

toprekoms Inactive

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    Anyone interested in a trade? What value would you place on this bass?
    Thanks,
    Toprekoms

13. HeartsAbassist

HeartsAbassist

Aug 15, 2012
    I have this exact same bass (from the rectangular clip holding the D & G strings, attached the head stock up between the 2nd & 3rd tuning keys; to the block inlay; to the 3 clear black knobs and split coil pups). The only difference (maybe) is that my head stock is the same candy-apple red as the body (on my screen, yours looks brownish?) and mine has the chrome 'ashtray' bridge-cover. The luthier I brought it to for cleaning/ tuneup told me I stole it for what I paid.

I have been trying to identify it for weeks now, (and I'm not only good at research, I have LOTS of time on my hands!)

Toprekoms, yours is the third I've ever seen, but no one seems to know anything about them. Have you heard anything since you posted this? Mine is going to be a gift for my bassist, but curiosity is just KILLING me! :)

14. Idiot Savon

Idiot Savon Tall, Dark, Handsome, etc., etc. Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    I am on my second one of these. I don't know what it is either. All I know is it is a Harmony, it is red, and it KILLS. The second volume pot has some kind of anomaly that, when soloed and turned to EXACTLY 8, sounds as much like a Rick as anything I can afford.
    If you find out anything, please let me know!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021