Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help: OPB 3 Battery Eater!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Saint, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    :help: I'd really appreciate any assistance I could get from our esteemed membership in trying to solve the mystery of why my OPB3 preamp seems to be sucking the life out of the 18 volts of batteries in it on an all-too-regular basis.

I remove the plug from my bass whenever I put it down for more than a handful of minutes and I don't use it plugged in any more than I do my basses with emg, carvin or ibanez preamps, yet it runs out of battery power on slightly more than a 1.5 month basis. The others last seemingly forever.

BTW, the bass is wired with an "on-off" switch for the preamp --and it does go off when I turn it off.

Any insight, advice or slap up the side of the head would be greatly appreciated.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, I've had a number of basses with obp-3 preamps, and never had what you say.

Are you sure enough about the wiring to be certain that the battery -ve isn't wired to ground permanently?

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    No I'm not. When you say "wired to ground permanently" what do you mean?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The ground wire from the battery typically goes to the jack, but not the same lug as the other grounds.
    This way, when the cable is inserted, the circuit is completed and battery drain occurs.
    If the battery ground wire is grounded the same way as other ground wires, the circuit is constantly on and battery drain will occur faster.
    Did you, or someone else, do this install?

5. Look at this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185784

The picture shows how a battery is wired to a 3 conductor jack, so that the battery will be disconnected when the plug is pulled out. Although the battery is powering LED's in the thread, the same principle applies to your preamp.