1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help - opinions on recent purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by letstalkbassman, Jun 27, 2012.

1. letstalkbassman

letstalkbassman

Jun 26, 2012
    hi all you fellow bassists! 1st post:

little background I am a guitarist turned bassist/drummer.

been playing music for over 30 years in various bands and settings - recently due to more and more requests for my bass playing skills I decided I needed something more suitable
    than my line6 lowdown 110 - so I wandered into my local music shop and did something I don't normally do...

I bought a bass amp without any research.:rolleyes:

Ampeg Portbass 250 with the matching 210 cab.

it's a decent sounding amp but I have to run it all out to get the volume I need and it still falls a little short especially when you consider there is no headroom left:meh:

that is not nessesarily the prob I need help with.

The music shop charges me $1000 for the head and cab.

They made it seem like a deal ($750 lower than sticker price)

then I did my research and discovered - this amp is discontinued and can be had at a fraction of the cost used.
    duh..but the local music store will allow me to make payments
    so thats how I got into this...

It is a nice amp but $1000 worth of amp ?

My question to you fine folks is should I try to take it back?

It's been about a month - but I know the shop owner personally - he would take it back but with much reluctance.

I tried to make them a deal and have them order me something else so my business stays local but all they have coming in is the the bugera NUKE 3600 and don't want that thing.

Should I take it back - losing my $250 down payment
    or keep it knowing I bought $500 worth of gear for $1000

what would you do?

I am looking at the carvin bx1500 but if I take the ampeg back
    then I just have an old hartke 410tp cab and not sure if that cab will hold up to the carvin power - and if I buy the carvin
    I'll no $$ left for a decent cab....ugh

if i keep the ampeg then I still have to pay it off and have that sinking in my stomach feeling knowing that I WAY overpaid for it...

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Well for starters I'd do more research, also all stores act like they are giving you a deal off list price. That is why you always see things now listed as $XXX list and $XXX street, list is a completely fabricated number so you think you're getting a better deal and so those in far off places can screw the un-informed. The internet (mostly ebay) caused better pricing in every music store across the nation, especially in the pedal department.

You forget that new Ampeg comes with a warranty, used Ampeg does not, so your paying for some piece of mind over a used Ampeg, I personally would rather have my Ampeg with a warranty. Then again, even with your loss of $250 you'd still be up $250 buying used, probably saving more than any reasonable repair.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, sorry boss.

3. letstalkbassman

letstalkbassman

Jun 26, 2012
    hey thanks Diabolous,

I know I know...I usually research gear extensively before I buy.

Anyway I got some money coming in and I am looking for a bass amp that I never have to worry about headroom with.
    Small, lighweight...

I (for whatever reason) thought the PB210 cabinet was 8ohm
    so I paired it with another 8ohm cab (hartke) but the PB210 is 4ohm!! so for a whole gig I pounded the ampeg at 2.67 ohms and it didn't even flinch...

it's actually a tough lil beast...
    but I have to dime it to get the stage volume i need
    on a rock gig

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I've been searching this forum pretty hard for the last week or so looking for a new head. After considering reliability, tone, manufacturer CS, features, and price, I went with a GK MB500 from rmcaudio.com for $399 which includes shipping. It's 350w @ 8 ohms and 500w @ 4 ohms. I tried the MB200, but it wasn't loud enough.

It seems like a lot of companies have their own problems.
    Ampeg PF350/500 - many posts about them cutting out, no sound
    Carvin - 1 year warranty, ribbon cable problems
    GK - hissing MB200s, maybe other stuff

The MB500 seemed good since I liked the sound of the MB200, but I really don't have any experience with these amps, or the others. I played a MB200 5-10 minutes and have yet to see a MB500.

Anyway, if your research leads you to a MB500 or any other GK, RMCaudio is the place to buy it. That would leave you $350 of your $750 for a cab/s, and probably be more suitable than your Ampeg.

Edit: if you need more power there's a guy selling the Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 for $500 on ebay. They sell for $800+. I think it's 900w @ 4 ohms and 500w @ 8 ohms. That's a real good price on that amp, cheaper than STL6.0s go for. He has eight left to sell.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genz-Benz-S...=217392766101785092&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Take it back. You are not the first person with that complaint. The Portabass line has been described as "a great little head paired with lousy cabs" by the former chief engineer of Ampeg. The cabs are indeed very quiet compared to most 210's, and the shop took advantage of you IMHO.

6. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    take it back and get your $250 deposit back.. was it explained that the deposit was non-refundable before you got the amp??

stop doing business with them after this and tell everyone in the area about how they conduct business..

7. YEP :)
    You don't want it making fun of you every time you look at it and it will affect your playing.

8. YEP :)
    You don't want it making fun of you every time you look at it and it will affect your playing.

9. letstalkbassman

letstalkbassman

Jun 26, 2012
    well, the music shop has been good to me over the years
    with financing etc...so the only thing I can fault them on is not really knowing the gear they have.

ok - so take the amp back.

now for new amp - YEAY!!!

MB500 looks good
    what are some cab recomendations ?

would an avatar SB112 be enough to show off the MB500 potential?
    I found one used for $150

10. Avatar doesnt make a 12/6/1.

They do make a 15/6/1, if its loaded with a 3015lf thats a good deal.

11. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I think you have many options if you're ok spending $750-$1000. Perhaps it could be worth taking a Saturday and driving to a Guitar Center to test out a bunch of different stuff?

12. letstalkbassman

letstalkbassman

Jun 26, 2012
    thanks everyone! great advice
    I really appreciate
    your comments GlennW - and yes I am pretty much down to the MB500

13. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Glad to help, and hope you like it. Mine arrives tomorrow. I believe they weigh about 4 lbs, which is very cool.