Help out a local band!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nick man, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont think this has been done before.

Introduce us to a local band or two that you think we should check out. It cant be yours, or any TBer's band.

The band should have music posted online, otherwise its pointless to introduce us to them.

Well here are the two I would like to submit:

Pygmy (Miami, FL): Punk-Jazz?, Indie?, I think the right label is "cool."
    I just noticed that it looks like the must have recently broken up. I'll have to check that out but I recommend checking them out anyways.

Escape Grace (Gainesville, FL): Hardcore metal I think decribes them best. Not really rough though, very rifined, clear sound with distinct melodies.
    They kickoff their tour on Friday.

So those are my two contributions. Lets see yours.

2. nuclearrabbit17

nuclearrabbit17 Guest

May 20, 2004
    Dont let my name make you think that im in it. I just love that band. The bassist posts on this board. His name is jean baudin. He is the single greatest bass player I have ever seen. I cannot wait to hear his solo cd. I will be buying it the first day.

well anyway is the website. click on the media tab
  3. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
  4. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Blackgrass. Now (like, as of Sunday before last) defunct band that managed to mix a doom metal (think My Dying Bride) outlook with a bluegrass sensibility with extremely (to the point where I went to just about every show I could get out for) good results. The band's calling it quits after recording their second album because the singer decided he wanted to go to law school near D.C. Anyway, they were cool. Downtempo bluegrass with rock banjo, a mix of pizzicato and arco upright playing, and fiddle work that sounds like it's straight out of a gypsy caravan. These guys can groove, too.
  5. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    By the way, this is an extremely cool thread idea.
  6. A former local band, now based in the Washington DC area. Dirty Sanchez, with comedy songs and hilarious "rap" segments. is some of their songs.
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Reverend Glasseye. This band is local to Boston, MA; but I got to see them once here, and I was impressed enough to remember them.

If the venue was a pirate ship, they'd be the house band. You can read more about them and get sound clips and whatnot on the website.
  8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'll pimp:

Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots

Note that this the only link to them and it is through one of their labels, "Smooch Records", which will be distributing their new release internationally this fall. Jello Biafra will be distributing domestically on his label.

A good friend of mine plays upright bass (pluck as well as bowed) for the band. They have received a great deal of praise of late, recently being named the #6 band to watch on the Denver scene. In fact, one local paper cited them as being representative of the new "Denver Sound", to which my friend replied, "whatever the hell THAT is".

Anyway, check 'em out. Sort of a low-key alt-country feel.
  9. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    this band used to be local (just a few blocks from my house), but recently they moved to ferndale, just outside of Detroit (michigan).

The Brian Schram Band
    web site

the rhythm guitar player, joe, was my bass teacher for about a year, and guitar teacher for a few months. the bass players mom is a good family friend, so i got to get into some concerts for free, even though i was underage, and i got to sit in on a practise session.

but brian is the best local guitar player ive ever heard, the band makes some pretty good rock music, but if you can catch them in a blues bar, you will get their best. if you live in southern michigan you should check 'em out
  10. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Ephraim Zenh is from Ankeny, IA. They're kinda a mix of Led Zep and Soundgarden. Their bassist is one of my favorites in the area and he's always got me GASing for his Azureglo Ric 4003.
  11. BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004 They're a cool black metal band, Ive met the guitar player a cpl times. They've been in and out with some bass players over the past cpl years but check em out if yer into metal.
  12. The Slip-Trippy Jazz Acid Rock.

Piebald: It's emo-without-the-emo-sound!
  13. Esoterik. The bassist is actually a member of this board (sixstringer506 I believe is his username). Their an awesome band and I recommend you all check out their music. Website here, and music download page here,

Also, check out Joose. They have like a clip of one of their songs of their newest album on CD Baby located here, and their site is here,

If anyone has more interest in Joose, I can get you a couple songs to listen to. Just drop me a PM.

14. I grew up with this guy. He's played Letterman, so I am not sure how much help he needs, but any publicity is good. He's a singer-songwriter so he plays most gigs w/o a band. I like his lyrics.
  15. Here's another area band. Many of you have probably heard of them, but just in case.....

I used to play with against Chew (the bassist) in high school basketball and with him in summer league baseball. He is one helluva nice guy, and deserves recognition as a great groove bassist. Nothing flashy, but he lays it down.
  16. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Those guys are awesome. I just barely missed getting to see them when they were here with Burnside Exploration a couple months ago. Occasionally I kick myself in the ass for that when I remember to.
  17. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    These guys are *way* better live than on record. I cannot wait for them to bring out a live album.
  18. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    These guys live up the street from my uncle and played the Chicago blues festival.
  19. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Ah ****!

*kicks self in head*
  20. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL