Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP OUT A NEW GUY (in t he effects feild)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 20, 2001.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    ok
    i have learnt a few song actually a lot
    and i am saving up for an effects pedal/unit/box
    i dont know what effect to get
    i play metal/punk/thrash and i would just like a recommendation on what i should get first
    thank

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You feel you have to buy an effect, but you don't know what? Um... :)

OK, given the music you play, I'd say a distortion pedal. And I recommend single unit stompboxes. Don't waste your money on a multi-effects board; it might seem like great fun in the beginning (when you're sitting with it in your bedroom, playing around with a lot of different sounds), but you'll soon discover the limited useability of the majority of those effects and even how shallow some of they actually sound. IMHO the cheap plastic Zoom's and its companions are merely toys, and not to be taken seriously.

Do you want quality and something that lasts, or just a quick fix? Well, that may sound harsh, but I am heavily biased against cheap multi-effect boards... it's really up to you. Entirely. Don't listen to me. But remember, when you try out an effect before buying it (as you always should), don't just listen to it and how cool it sounds - think whether it is usable in a band or not.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    On the other hand... I think you should save your money and get a better amplifier. :)

4. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    um about that amp remark
    yeah ok i will concider it BUT IM NOT PROMISING ANYTHING OK!?!?!?!
    lol so yeah
    i was just wondering if i should get some cheap-o effect unit just do put a bit of difference in my band and when i make up a few solo's
    by the way i live in Australia(aka "down under" to all you yanks lol) and the price is twice as much eg if a guitar costs about $200 (HA AHHA HAHAHA ) then it would cost $400 or so here so yeah im gonna not want to spend tooooo much either so yeah.
    ok thanks for ya help

(gee this is the biggest post i eva typed!)

5. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    and im also looking for something that sounds good and not many bass player have eva used it (you know what i mean) and yeah
    but most importantly it sounds good and it stands out so it can BREAK THRU THE WALL OF ELECTRIC GEETARS!(even thought there is only 1 geetar in my band) so yeah

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I agree with the stomper thing but...

A 50w combo for a punk/thrash band? Save up for a powerful amp. I use 220w and my guitarists use 30-60w and dont turn up much.

7. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    ok i am a weird little guy ok
    i have 3 seperate "Piggy Banks". one for an amp, one for a geetar and the other one for a rainy day. and so far the rainy day one is s-l-o-w-l-y becoming the effects bank
    so yeah what do ya think i should get first

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The best way to break that wall is with a good clean bass signal. When I've used fuzz etc. it has gotten lost with all the guitars unless I was able to split my signal to keep some clean in there. Occasionally I use a very little bit of chorus or something else to colour my sound. I would buy amp power before I would buy F/X

9. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    remember the piggy banks.........
    i just want to know WHAT SHOULD I GET FIRST?!?!?!?!
    lol
    ok thanks

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    OK you asked for it :D I would say an Electro-Harmonix Big-Muff is a great fuzz (get an original if you can, not the reissue)

If you really save your $$$ you might want to try the E-H Bass Microsynth (you may need two piggybanks for that one :D). That one lets you keep a clean tone and blend it with crazy distortions and square waves. The Akai Unibass also shows promise as a good distortion but I don't know that much about it to comment on it...

11. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    umm ok then
    and how much do these thingie cost?

12. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    BY THE WAY
    these piggy banks dont have much in them so bare that in mind

13. paigehaleyrulez

paigehaleyrulez

Mar 25, 2001
    the EH microsynth is about 200-300 bucks. you'll need bout 3 piggy banks for that

dont even bother about getting multieffect units etc.
    i bought a BOSS overdrive and i rarely use it

14. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    ok ok ive been doing a bit of reasearch cause im new in the bass geetar effects feild and i am very confused. reverb, chorus, synthiser, distortion flanger fuzz AARRRRRRHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH
    WHAT DO ALL THESE MEAN
    can someone please help
    its going a bit off topic isnt it

15. I have a Boss Bass Multiple Effects ME-8B that I am thinking about selling for $150. Check out:

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/en/bass_guitar_effects.html

for more info.

If you're interested, let me know. Try a web search for some user-reviews and stuff for that unit.

It's a fun unit but I don't see myself using it much. I have a MidiVerb 4 that I used for delay/chorus/reverb/flange effects.

- Dave

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    OK let me group these things by type to try and explain what I know

Distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive
    These are your distortion effects, distortion is a bunch of harmonic overtones caused by a high-gain signal overloading a circuit (this is a reeeaaaalllly simplified explanation I know, electronics geeks, jump in at will here). It was "discovered" in the 50's when some g*****ist in Ike Turner's band had his amp fall off a truck and break. He plugged it in and it was all distorted sounding. You can get a whole range of distortion from smooth overdrive to death-metal distortion to thick walls of fuzz. In bass applications I find that distortion obscures my signal in the wash of guitars unless you can get a clean signal at the same time. This bugged me cos I like fuzzbass sometimes but not when I can't be heard. I got my friend to make me a fuzz pedal based on a big muff that also had a clean signal blended in. It works but the circuit is so big we can't find a good box for it...

Chorus/Flange/Phase
    These are modulation FX, they, um, modulate your signal. Usually they change the tone of your signal over time. For example a Phase-shifter is a sweeping cut (does that make sense?). They're kind of hard to describe and I don't what else to say about 'em cos I'm tired right now :)

Synth
    Bass players got tired of keyboardists putting 'em out of work and they decided turnabout was fair play ;) Well, maybe that wasn't the story but anyhow Synth effects track your signal and do a variety of, well, synthy things to it. They might turn it into a Square wave or a Sawtooth wave (ask someone who knows physics about this), or they might apply some sort of auto-wah to it. They may also create some sort of synthy distortion for it (think NIN)

Reverb
    Makes you sound like you're in a big empty room where sound reverberates. Most people I know don't really like this for bass, your signal gets lost and stuff. It's kind of a g**t*r thing ;)

That's what I know at least

17. Ive only been playing for about 6 years but I would say go with stompboxes. They are easier to contour your sound with and the effect. With multi-units you can only get a certin range of effect. Plus not to mention if the multi-unit brakes...then all of your effects are gone.

But like everyone else, I would recommend a better amp first. If you get all these top of the line effects and they sound like god but your amp is week...then the the effect won't sound that good, (hope that came out right)

But as far as effects for your type of music... I would say... E-H Big Muff...you can get that for about $60 bucks Or even a Boss Bass overdrive.
    But its up to you...go to your local music store and try these out..
    good luck!!!!

18. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    hey im gonna be a real pain in the a$$ and ask what is the differece between stopm boxes,fx units and pedals
    he he he
    thanks for all your help

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Effects can be had in either a stomp box, one pedal with usually only one effect in it. You stomp on it to switch the effect on and off. Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

A multi-FX board is, like the stomp boxes, a floor module to be stomped on, but these contain many effects in one single package (hence the name). The effects in these are usually of lower quality than those in the stomp boxes (but what do you expect when some stomp-boxes with a single effect cost more than your average MFX board?). Here's a picture of one:
    [​IMG]

Effects can also be had in rack units, which contain either one effect, or many effects. The name implies that they are meant to be rack-mounted, and not lie on the floor to be stomped on.
    Here's a multi-FX rack unit:
    [​IMG]

Hope that helped somewhat.

20. rubber chicken

rubber chicken Guest

Apr 7, 2001
    colorado
    hey DanGouge, can't you just say guitar instead of g*****? why must you do this? :confused: