Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help out a newbie.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suitcase, Dec 21, 2004.

1. :help: I've never even picked up a bass, but I've been looking at basses for a long time now. And though a Gibson Flying-V bass would be AWESOME, they're incredibly rare. I think I'm getting an Ibanez GAXB for Christmas. How do those play?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Eh, Never seen/played one of them, mostly because I'm in love with regular Ibanez ones...

In which, the Ibanez DX300 is a big step up from a GSR200, so if you can afford it get the DX...

3. DX300?

4. Nevermind. Ibanez SR300DX. Found it.

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    This isnt really answering your question, but what about a mike dirnt sig bass, seems like you like him, and i hear his sig model is quite nice

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    How much are you looking to spend?

7. Desire

Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Suitcase,
    I got an SR300DXL (lefty version) and I really like it. If you are just starting out (like myself) you'll quickly get to like it (slim fast neck). For most types of music it's good and it really shines with rock and metal type music. Bottom line is it's a great instrument and I'm glad I bought it. I also wanted to ask you, are you also getting an amp? The reason why I mention this is at home I bought a cheapo 6 channel mixer (Alto) ($89CDN)and I plug my bass(es) into it and pipe it to my stereo, I also have my computer plugged into the mixer. Most of the time I have to use headphones (apartment living) but once in a while I turn it loose on the house speakers (gotta feel that rumble every now and then...lol) and it actualy works good (my Ibanez sounds really good through the speakers)as long as you have a decent stereo amp and speakers. Just thought I'd make the suggestion.

8. I've seen the Mike Dirnt Precision Bass on the Fender website, but it's a bit pricey. I'm looking from $200-$700, amp not included. And from the way I do air guitar, I might be a lefty. Don't know. It's the weirdest thing. I write left handed. But just about everything else I do right handed. Golf, baseball, football, tennis, right, right, right.

9. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Suitecase. If you are just starting in the bass world, welcome! Some advice to you would be not to sweat the details in the initial stages of your interest. If you receive an Ibanez (any model) as a gift, be very thankful and learn to love and adapt to it. Any opinion read here will not make your bass better or worse. Learn to love it and play, play, play! Then in time, you will spend years (believe me), buying, trading and buying some more, trying to find your favorite sounds and tone. Until then just worry about getting the low notes into the air and developing your talent. Then once you do, IMO, look toward G&L and Ampeg!
    :D

10. Raven

Raven

Nov 14, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Welcome to the low end of the sonic spectrum. Ibenez makes decent basses. I have a 5 I like a lot. Which ever you wind up withm in that price range you'll have a good axe on which to learn.
    As far as left or right handed, since you're just beginning, you may as well go with a standard right handed bass. Leftys aren't as common, and are usually a special order item.
    To help you decide, go to a music store that has left and right handed basses, style and brand are not important, and try each one, see which feels more natural to you.
    You'll need an bass amp. Its very easy to damage your stereo speakers with a bass. Check out the threads in the "amps" section of the forum. There are numerous threads on practice amps and such. Then try some out at the music store.
    All the best for your new endevor. :cool:

Rock on.....

11. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    suitcase,

Consider learning to play right-handed. Much greater number of instruments to choose from.

12. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I'm a half lefty too suitcase. Left handed writing and right handed sports. You probably use your right hand when writing on a chalkboard too don't you?
    Right handed guitars and basses are my choice and should work well for you.

13. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Dirnt basses usually go for less than $700.

14. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you've never even played a bass and yet you know that 5 or 6 strings are unnecessary? :eyebrow:

16. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Since you've never owned a bass before, I wouldn't worry about the playability of anything you might get; Ibanez, Fender, whatever. Learn to play it first, then after a while you will realize what you really want in a bass. Don't sweat it now, just learn to play.

Also, keep an open mind about multi-string basses. I play both 4 and 5. I find it laughable that someone so young who doesn't even play yet can knock 5-stringers. You can't comment on something you know nothing about.

17. Dude, I was tired and needed something to do that didn't involve sleep.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :eyebrow:

19. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    +1
    :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

20. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    :rolleyes:

I think you're going to need to find another way to keep yourself awake if you plan on sticking around here.