1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help out a noob.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by volkswagen, Jul 21, 2012.

1. volkswagen

volkswagen

Jul 21, 2012
    I realized I might have posted this in an inactive section, sorry for the duplicate threads but really want an answer. :bag:

Prospective bass player here. Former mediocre 6 string guitar player. I picked up guitar in high school, couldn't really get into it as much as I thought I would though my expectations were probably set too high at that age. I'm looking to start with bass this time, and do it right. I've really been into the laid back loose style of bass, unlike guitar. I mostly listen to modern reggae. Bands like Rebelution, Stick Figure, Expendables so I'd want to play a similar style.

My question is about which guitars I should consider. I really have no clue about which guitars provide which features, and what I would actually utilize as a new player. So far I've been recommended the Ibanez SR300 and the lower end Yamahas. No idea what to look for so any advice is appreciated. I'm trying to keep it under $300 not including the amp.

Also, I would possibly consider a used bass.

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    The Fender Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series are worth consideration. Very good instruments and value for the $.

3. You can usually get something better quality for the money if you buy used, but you can still get some really nice new basses in your price rage. Really, the best thing to do is to go to a store and see what you like the feel of the most. When you're just starting out, you don't really notice the tone differences as much as an experience player would. Plus I don't imagine you would be playing gigs in the near future if you're just starting out, so I wouldn't be basing my decision over tone. That is unless you just love the way a certain bass sounds, even if there is another you find more comfortable.

Also a +1 for the Squier Vintage Mod/Classic Vibe Series, they feel and sound great.

4. volkswagen

volkswagen

Jul 21, 2012
    Thanks for the input, I will definitely look into those mentioned. Though I'm not sure how I feel about purchasing a Squier despite how much they're recommended. Maybe I am wrong or have some misconceptions about the brand, but my first guitar was a Squier and I really didn't like the way it felt. I suppose the only way to tell is to try them out in person.

Can anyone give their input on ESP basses? I'm looking into the B50, I've read some decent things about it. Would be nice to save some money on the bass as well so I can get a decent amp.

5. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Normally I'd recommend Squier over anything else, but I'm wondering if you have considered a 5 string since you're so heavily into Reggae?

6. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    Squier classic vibe jazz bass or any epiphone , ibanez is a good brand , I know nothing about yamaha

7. volkswagen

volkswagen

Jul 21, 2012
    I might consider 5 string down the line, I figured I could start with 4 string and move up to 5 later on. Definitely will check out that Squier though.

8. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Fair enough :)

Yeah definitely check out Squier, go play some. The Classic Vibe Precisions are exceptional quality for the money, and if you can find one used, even better.

9. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Not sure which model Squier you owned, but there's a big difference between the Affinity Series versus the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Series.

10. Yeah, I wouldn't count Squier out based on only one bad experience just yet.
    Try them, you'll like them.
    Or not, ya never know.
    Even though I and many many others have had nothing but positive experiences with them, it may turn out that they are simply not for you. That's the way it works. But to not try them out at all because of your one bad experience, and you may be shortchanging your self. You never know for sure unless you try.

11. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Bass players rarely call basses "guitars".

There is a "bass" and there is a "guitar"...