Help Out a Poor Newbie....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madsky, Apr 23, 2001.

1. madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I recently just recieved my Aria Pro II Avante AVB-TN5. I am an aboslute begginer and this is a 5 stringer. I want to know if it's good enough for me or not. I plug this thing into a Crate BX15W. Is this a good start for a begginer like me?
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Well, only YOU can decide what's good for YOU. :)
    But gear-wise, it seems like a good starter setup. I think the bass is above average when it comes to beginners' basses. You might want to upgrade to a more powerful amplifier when you start playing in a band, though - the li'l bugger you got there won't compete with a drummer.

Absolute beginner, eh? Well, the I have to welcome you to the wonderful world of bass, I hope you'll enjoy it!

Now, the next step is to have someone experienced with bass (a bass playing friend or a bass teacher) to teach you the basics; like how to hold your bass, pluck & fret the strings in a proper way, perhaps learn a simple tune. There are internet resources for beginners as well, but nothing beats seeing someone doing the things as opposed to just read and guess. But if you want something to read, check, click on "beginners".

Have fun!
  3. madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Thanks :) My friends play basses and guitars. One of them played one year but he's extremely rich and got a Hamer Bass [dont know exact model], another Hamer guitar, a Fender acoustic, and an Ovation acoustic bass. I'm letting my dad teach me since he's one of the best top slap bassist in Thailand. [he stopped playing a few years ago]

And Libster is an excellent website to start out :cool:
  4. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    WAY better than what I started out playing with, Junior. ;)

Seriously, welcome to the world of playing bass. Don't get too hung up on gear, just spend some time learning and enjoying your new pursuit.
  5. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Welcome to bassdom!Sounds like a good rig to get started on.As the others said dont get hung up on gear.Just make sure the bass is properly set up.It will sound and play much better.Good luck!
  6. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Welcom to TB, to the bassworld and to musical hell ;)
    Seriously, it's a good start-up you've got my friend.
    A 5er might seem a little odd to start with, but if you feel like it, no prob.
    I'll just advise you to get a teacher ... it can help a lot ;)