Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help out the new guy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by saxplayer, Jul 19, 2004.

1. saxplayer

saxplayer

Jul 19, 2004
    Hey there! I'm new to these forums, as well as the world of the bass. I've played saxophone for 7 years, piano for almost a year, and i am now a university music major. My question is this: I have always wanted to play the bass, and now i'm going to take it up as my next instrument. I'm going to buy a bass and an amp(not looking for anything too fancy, just practical). A friend of mine is offering to sell me his Samick Gibson 4 String, and he say it's original value was somewhere in the range of 600 bones. No amp, though.

Now, I know that I can certainly get much cheaper, but my question is if this would be a good deal? Or would it be better for me to just go out and buy one of the cheaper ones to start. basically, I want to know if this particular bass would make a better starting block than any other bass. Also, how much should I pay him for it?

Thanks for your time, guys. Please don't just respond with obligitory personal comments about how much you like or dislike it, it's company, or anything else. Please leave the responses to facts and experience. Thanks guys!

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I don't think there are any/many Samick's worth $600 used.

3. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Welcome to TalkBass! You will find this forum to be a wealth of knowledge and full of really cool folks.

Nobody wants to get less than what they paid, but his bass if maybe worth half of what he paid. Samicks are not a brand that people will pay alot of money for. I would buy used, you will get more for your money, and won't have a huge drop in value if you decide to sell it. I would look for a used Mexican Fender bass and a small practice amp. The Fender Bassman amps are nice and small, like the 60 watt model. An SWR Workingman's 10 or 12 is a nice place to start, if you want a little more power and don't want to upgrade to a louder amp too soon. Get a tuner and get a hard case if you can. That will protect your investment. Look in the classifieds here to get an idea of prices. You can get alot for $600 if you take the time to look around and do some research.

4. saxplayer

saxplayer

Jul 19, 2004
    He said he payed 600 originally. He said he'd sell it for 300 - 350.

I'm not sure if that really changes anything, but if it does let me know.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK, I think I just misread. Do a search for Samick, the search tab is in the upper right. You'll find that it's not a very well respected brand. However, the Samick factory makes guitars and basses for a *lot* of other brands, including some that get more respect. For $300-$350, I would shop around. If you've tried his bass and you like how it feels and sounds, then ok go for it, but there are probably better deals out there.

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    maybe a mexican made fender. I suggest you play some bassed in your price range, shop around, and then play his, if you like how it compares go for it i guess. Persoanlly I never cared for Samicks. Then again fender never did it for me either...

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, for $300-350, I think you could find something better than a Samick. I haven't heard much positive feedback from Samick owners.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Samick Gibson 4 string?:eyebrow: Can you provide us with a picture of it? I have never heard of such an animal.

9. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Two very different animals: Samick = the guy who can't get Gibson in his shop.