help out with new gear. ampeg, gb gk or warwick?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vinpaul, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hi guys, my name is Vinnie and Im new to the forum. I live in Australia and have recently started my first 'real pro' rock band. Anyway I got a hartke 3500 head and vx 410 and its just not cutting it. By the way I play a spector Q4, you know the passive korean model, i love the feel of the bass and want to change my amp next. The music we play is probably something between rock/grunge/funk/hard rock maybe, its always hard to deswcribe these things. Mainly its just rock/hard rock with some ballads and slap/funk.

Anyway ive been looking at new amps and even though **** is so expensive here I have a few favourites, either the GBE 600, Ampeg SVT 3 pro, Warwick Quad VI or maybe a second hand GK, what do you guys think? any input would be great. We're gonna start gigging within a month. Id also get a new cab with that prob 410 or 212 but itd like to concentrate on the head first. Thanks, rock on :bassist:
  2. My vote goes for the GBE600. From my experience so far, these things are indestructable and sound fantastic. I run mine flat with the low mid boosted to about 3:00 and no matter what I am always heard, and with wonderful tone, for hours and hours with no overheating problems. Never tried the Warwick, and the SVT3 is a bit underpowered. I'd also reccomend the GK, but I have no experience in owning them, just heard several live, and they sound strikingly similar to the Genz Benz gear.
  3. What don't you like about the Hartke rig?

I thought i didn't like Hartke for a while. Especially when they had to gall to give Jaco an award posthumously, what a presumptious load of crap that was using his image to sell product by giving him an 'award'.

But I played recently through a Hartke 4x10 mated to an Ampeg of some kind, and I have to say. . . as much as I didn't want to like Hartke, I was impresed.

Anything in particular you don't like?

BTW as far as recommendations I say a Glockenklang preamp, 1000w power amp, and two 8x10's, and you are good to go.
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What award did they give him? You know Jaco used to use Hartke cabs right? IIRC he had one of, if not the, first AL cone cabs to roll out of their factory.
  5. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    what i dont like about the hartke, well i think the cab is too farty, and u cant turn the damn horn off. Also if you try get some mean low end it goes muddy, and it doesnt cut through too well in a band situation. The Genz Benz seems to get a lot of great reviews for the price it sells at, hope they're all true! :cool:
  6. THe GBE600 is a great sounding head but if you like GK stuff i think the Bass Centre in Melbourne sells GK1001RB for just under $1500. Sometimes you will see them selling them on Ebay otherwise I would ring them about it.
  7. booch

Aug 12, 2004
    I used to be all for GK. I loved the sound, but missed the tube warmth so switched to Aguilar.

In general, GK's are good for all styles, at least, I played rock and blues and jazz with them. They won't let you down, that's for sure. You could drive a truck through them, and chances are they would still work. Mine fell down on the front panel knobs from about 6 feet when I lent it to a friend (never do that again...). Hardly had any problems.

I have never played an Ampeg I liked though, and a lot of rock players rave about them, so maybe it's just me with my GK-bias.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Why don't you start by getting a better cab.

There's nothing wrong with that head, and you've only mentioned the cab (the VX series is recongnized around here as not-so-good). I have a 3500 that has been a great sounding and dependable head for the past 12 or so years. When I use it with my Schroeder cab, it really sounds great. I was surprised at how nice the sound it produces can be.

When I recently switched over to a Mesa 400+ head I thought I wouldn't want to use the 3500 ever again, yet I find I enjoy using it for practice and really like what it does.