Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help...P or J? I can't decide.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Lone Strang, Dec 26, 2005.

1. The Lone Strang

The Lone Strang

Jun 28, 2005
    I am going to buy a bass. I am going to probably buy an SX.
    I have done a search, and yes I have read the p v.s. j. stuff, but I am having trouble deciding.

I have also done searches under bass sound clips and listened to multiple samples of p's and j's, but I still can't decide.

Help me, please. I usually play acoustic rock, some classic rock, and some mellow Eagles/Beatles/70's ballad stuff.

I am going nuts trying to decide. Anything that pushes me one way or another would be appreciated.

As an aside, I am usually an acoustic guitar player. I played bass at church for about 4 years but that was 5 years age.
    I want a bass for fun and when I have some friends over, we can take turns playing either guitar or bass.

Who knows, down the road I may convert to a full-on 4 string man.

Again, help.

2. Fab4ever

Fab4ever

Nov 28, 2005
    It sounds like you and I have similar musical tastes. I'm just a beginning bass player, mind you, but for my first bass (after playing guitar for 25-plus years) I chose an SX P-J model... the one with the jazz pickup in the bridge and the P pickup in the neck position. I immediately purchased a Dimarzio P and J set and after new strings, the new pups and a setup, I am very happy....

Fab

3. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Once you have one, you will want the other. I have a Jazz bass and I love it...sweet midrangey tone, a great slim neck, and they play so damn smooth. However now that ive owned it for awhile, I keep finding myself wishing I had a Precision as well for its fatter, grittier tone. But either bass will work fine for acoustic/classic type rock.

Try to go a music store and play them both, and go with what you feel.

4. The Lone Strang

The Lone Strang

Jun 28, 2005
    Just out of curiosity, what finish did you get on your guitar?

Also, what kind of fiddling do you do to get different tones/sounds?