Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, Panic button has been hit!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Jul 23, 2001.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I'm trying out for a new band on Thursday.....they do a lot of reggae and some blues(SRV, and Hendrix) and some Latin ala Santana....well I've always been a rocker(metal etc, RATHM, Primus etc) and I've always wanted to be in a band like this.

But I've never done it...heck I've never even jammed a 12 bar blues with anyone!!

Anyway what I'm asking is, what are some good things to brush up on before the try out.....and How does someone go about getting a good reggae sound that can be used for some blues, Latin and funk.

Luckily I have a G&L 2000, so I have a lot of sound variation. Along with a Tobias 5'r.

Another question....they play with a drummer in an iso room and everything is monitored thru head phones. When I played out live I ran a line out of my Eden rig, but since I wont need to lug that around, I was wondering if my ZOOM 708 would work for sending a line out to the board??

Help me out brother,sisters and extraterrestrials of Talkbass

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Wow, no help???!!!

I'll remember that at x-mas

3. Wish I could help ya man, there are lots of good books out there try www.bassbooks.com

if these guy have been playing this stuff for a while you will not be able to fake it. A lot of people think playing the blues and classic rock is easy but to make it sound perfect there are a lot of little things you must learn.

Roger Waters is one of the players that kills me, if you listen to Pink Floyd the lines sound very simple but to sound as good as Roger takes some work.

Good luck.

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hey Odie,

You bet you've got variation with that L2000 ;)

I've used my BFX-708 to go into a mixer (my band is practicing with everyone going through the board, no individual amps) and it works. I'm not that big a fan of it because I think it affects the sound even when bypassed but it will work. I picked up a Sansamp BDDI for doing this and love it (and added a bypass pedal for the 708 so I can have it in the loop when using the effects and out of the loop otherwise).

In the past, the first time I played bass in a band (it was the guitarist's Hofner copy bass) we ran the bass directly into the board and that worked. The sound probably wasn't great but it worked and we played out a couple of times doing that.

So for practice run your 708 into the board and see if you like how it sounds.

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Oh yeah, on the other stuff. For reggae you want warm, deep dub - try series, neck pickup only, passive. For the others pick you favorite tones (to make it simple you could just switch into both pickup mode to add some definition)

6. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    Well, I play a lot of blues and I can tell you the trick isn't in the progression (admittedly easy to spot in most cases).

That kind of music is especially soulful and emotional. So, finding the RIGHT groove within the progression is key, to me anyway.

Lots of people talk about how easy blues are to play bass to, but blues is about more than technical wizardry and finger speed. Enjoy!!

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

odie - I had a similar experience with an audition not long ago. These guys play some Latin and some deep blues. I hadn't played Latin before and it was a long time since I'd played hard blues.

I just went out to the Wherehouse Music, got a stack of CD's in those genres, played along and put the lines down on staff paper. Books and videos couldn't get my head into it. I didn't want to imitate, I wanted to THINK like bassists in those styles.

Since you're switching from rock to this music, I guess you'd better get some flatwounds ordered if you haven't already. Maybe some DR Lo-Riders.

The reggae songs I've played have usually put me off balance because I find what you don't play is more important than what you do play with reggae. And even those lines are sparse......big rests/breaths, coming in after the rest of the instruments on verses, and not being locked in with the bass drum necessarily.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Wow thanx for all the quick replies!!! It is hard!!!! Very hard, I always thought blues would be easy, but those lines are really hard to get down!!! I could learn a dozen Tool/ RHCP/ Rage toons for every blues and reggae tune!!

I'm glad I'm looking into learning this stuff, I really dont have a feel for reggae, RickB you are dead on about the the less is more thing....it's easy to overplay!!!

Its mostly Marley and Stevie Vaughn stuff. So one of the better blues bassists and one of the better reggae bassists, so I have my work cut for me.

To all you rockers out there....."learn your blues" you'll learn alot from it!!

9. Yeah but ya know what? By learning to play some blues and reggae you are making yourself a much more versatile player and you will be better prepared if you are trying to score new gigs or improvise. Being a versatile bassist is what will get you the good gigs around town. Hell, some of those blues and reggae lines might sneak their way into some of your rock stuff. Musical growth is a good thing.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

But, Zoom - which does he have to do now?

- smoke spliffs all day and rant about Babylon?
    OR
    - drink gin all night and wail about being a back door man?

11. The styles you're gonna play are all groove styles, (as opposed to say, Primus) so you need to be right there with the drummer. Forget riffs and licks and other pyrotechnics, the groove is paramount. As has been stated above, you need to do a whole lotta listening to CDs.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've made my living the past 5 or so years in the styles you mention, odie. There's been excellent advice here, listen listen listen listen listen and listen, that is the single most important thing. The other rule: LESS IS MORE. Unlike the stuff you've been listening to, the whole idea is to find the right place to put the right note, not the right place to put a whole buncha notes, just like Marty said. Of course, there are exceptions, just listen to Benny Rietveld...he can flat PLAY (listen to the fade out on "Smooth" for an eye opening example! :eek: ).

Also, the biggest thing to listen for is note placement rhythmically. In blues and blues based stuff the groove is a bit "behind" the beat. It sounds kinda lazy, almost like it's dragging, but it's not. Same for reggae, don't "push" rhythmically. Then you turn around and do some Latin, and you've got to be on the other side of the beat, you gotta PUSH, play a bit "in front" of the beat, or it will feel like it's dragging. (I get chewed about that a bit, played too much R&B and Blues before I re-joined my present band, and sometimes I slip back into that "behind the beat" phrasing unconsciously). The thing to keep in mind here is that in both cases, you must do this IN TIME. No slowing down just because you're behind the beat in blues, no rushing because you're pushing in Latin. Tricky but important.