Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! part II: Ampeg B2RE or Ashdown MAG 600H Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Santraginus, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Now, here's part II: For my first rig, I'm also going to buy a head... I ended up with having to decide between the Ampeg B2RE and the Ashdown MAG 600H.

While I think the Ampeg will provide me with "plain vanilla" solid state sound while keeping a touch of that sweet Ampeg sound, the Ashdown seems to be far more variable in terms of sound options.

Anybody out there who faced the same decision? What did you choose and why?
    You help would be appreciated!

Cheers
    Michael

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    haven't played with the Mag. I was very impressed with the 500 EVO II but that's an order of magnitude more $$$ (read euro's...)

Personnally I think the B2R has great tone. Nothing generic about it, but it's not strong enough to defend itself .... really underpowered in my book. The word anemic comes to mind.

I would add the GK 700 to your list.

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The MAG will win the volume and power contest, and in the long run, will be a much better deal dollar for dollar.

4. i too would like to enter the GK700rb-II into the competition.

5. spockrock79

spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    NC
    +1 on the gk, just got one a few weeks ago and love it, if i had to choose b/t the ampeg and ashdown, i'd definitely go for the mag, before the gk i played through my mag300 and loved the tone,the 600 has more power and as far as everything i've heard about the b2r, the mag has it beat tonally hands down...